Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Meathead's Method to Deep Fry Chicken on a Gasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Meathead's Method to Deep Fry Chicken on a Gasser

I was really excited to read Meathead’s article on using the gas grill for frying, thus keeping the smell and the mess outside. I couldn’t wait to try it with the hardest of all things to get a good scald on: boneless skinless chicken breast. Those of you who have picky-eater-daughters who "don’t like eating meat attached to bones" will understand why I have to do this.

Anyway, here’s how I did it, modifying Meathead’s technique to suit my grill and the fact that I was deep frying, not shallow frying as he did in the article.

1. Sous vided the chicken breasts (two large half-breasts per bag) at 154°F for 1 hour (Chef Steps Joule programmed recommendation).

2. Took them out, dried them well, split them in half lengthwise (they were large 10-12 oz breasts) and put them in a bath of whole buttermilk and hot sauce while I fired up the grill.

3. All 6 burners on my Weber Summit gasser were set to high, with an empty 8 quart Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven placed in the center. After 15 minutes, I added the peanut oil (just under half-full) and turned off two burners on each side of the pot, leaving only the 2 center burners under the pot on the High setting. (Meathead used only 1 burner). Within 15 minutes, the oil was at 390°F.

4. In the meanwhile, I dredged the chicken in a flour mixture of self-rising flour, salt, pepper, and lots and lots of cayenne pepper and placed them on a rack over a rimmed sheet.

5. When the oil was hot enough, I added the first 4 pieces to the pot. Within 3 minutes, they were golden brown, so I removed them to a clean rack over a rimmed sheet lined with paper towels that I had set right next to the pot on the gas grill grate to keep them warm. They temped out with my Thermapen at between 160 and 165°F, depending on the size.

6. I checked the oil temp and it was 290°F so I added 4 more pieces. This time it took 5 minutes to get the chicken golden brown. I removed them to the rack with the other pieces.

7. The oil temp was still 290° so I put in the last 4 pieces. This time it took 7 minutes to get golden brown.

8. Since I had made all the sides while the chicken was in the sous vide bath, I could serve the chicken immediately. It was delicious, crispy and moist. Yay!

I had tried to shallow fry on my grill a few weeks ago and it was a failure because I used a stainless steel deep saute pan with about 2-3 inches of oil in it to try to fry tortilla strips for garnish for tortilla soup. It took 45 minutes for the oil to come to temp in that deep wide saute pan and the oil temp plummeted with the first batch of tortilla strips. It took for-friggin’-ever to get the entire batch of strips fried. The only difference was the pan used.

So I learned that using a cast iron dutch oven over my gasser's 2 center burners cranked to 11 made frying a piece of cake, or piece of chicken, more accurately.

Thanks, Meathead !

Kathryn

Edited to add: Meathead's recommendation of pouring the cooled oil through a fine sieve held over cheesecloth placed on the mouth of the storage container was brilliant. The oil filtered quickly into the jar and was pretty clean-looking. Lots better than the coffee filter placed in a large funnel setup that I had been using. That coffee filter drains sloooow.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 13, 2018, 07:34 AM.

Thanks Kathryn. Whenever I see a thread with your moniker it grabs my attention. As usual, you have added to our education & value of AR.

Comment

Now that's precision cooking!

Comment

Good job and nice write up! I love deep frying but was always frustrated with the mess and clean up and could never find a decent home deep fryer. I tried deep frying in a dutch oven with mixed results. Keeping a consistent oil temp was always a struggle which it sounds like you were experiencing this as well. Either way it was always a major clean up dealing with oil afterwards.

We have a big fish fry every year. This year I bit the bullet and bought a 4 gallon propane fired deep fryer. It solved most of the problems associated with deep frying. It keeps all the mess and smells outside. The oil stays in the fryer until it needs to be changed or you want to transport the unit.

It is designed so all the food crumbs fall to the bottom where the oil is just over 100 degrees or so so it doesn't scorch the pieces and taint the flavor of your oil. Because of this I was able to cook fish in one basket and onion rings in the other side by side and the onion rings didn't taste like fish.

Most importantly it held temp the entire time and never dropped below ideal frying temp of 375. Don't use it much but when I do it does the job very nicely.

Comment

Uh, pictures?

Comment

Thanks for the write-up, Kathryn! My wife asks me once in a while just when I'm going to fry chicken out on the gasser. When it warms up again, I'll confess to having read a detailed account of the process that that I now feel sufficiently confident to give it a try.

Mike

Comment

Great writeup! I sure would have loved to taste that chicken! I wouldn't have thought of cayenne pepper in the flour mix but it sure sounds good. Smart move using a dutch oven, I guess the raw mass from the cast iron helps with temps.

Comment

Great write up. I almost did a spit-take on the "don’t like eating meat attached to bones"! Are you sure these are your kids? Your recipe sounds pretty spicy so perhaps they are salvageable children after all.

Comment

Great write up. How much splattering of oil did you get in the Weber? Did it need a major clean after?

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No oil splattering to speak of, jgreen. The pot is deep and with the chicken in it the level rose to 2/3 full. I got more oil on the grates when transferring the pieces to the holding tray than came from the pot. I let the pot sit on the grill and the oil cool before transferring it for storage and cleaning the pot. Then I fired up the grill to burn off the grease. Easy peasy.

K.

Wow, sounds good!....but no pictures?

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dunno - I have a pretty good imagination!

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    EdF Are you saying you know what fried chicken looks like?

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nyok! Nyok! Nyok!

EdF Huskee

Click image for larger version

Name:	proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	592052

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That would be grill-fried chicken indeed! Shame my local KFC no longer offers grilled, not sure if it's a compamy wide thing or not. My wife has celiac and can't eat breading and was bummed when miss drive-thru-voice informed us of this recently.

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wonder what it tastes like.

Great write up! I love the fact that you cooked them sous vide first. I bet that was some moist and crunchy meat!

Comment

This almost makes me want a gasser.

Comment

I usually do SV when frying chicken. Just takes all the guess work out of cooking the inside and makes it safer.

The only thing I do different is fry at 380-400F so I can crisp and brown the outside faster without heating up the inside much. It’s a minute or two for the fry step this way and since it’s faster you can do less pieces each batch and use less oil.

The CI "thermal inertia" is (one of) your best friends.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed. The CI was the critical part of providing a quick fry. It was worth the purchase. I have a large Staub dutch oven but didn't want to put it on the grill. The Lodge worked perfect.

• Polarbear777
                        Polarbear777 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I "read" 290 in your original post. 390 is perfect.

have you tried the tortilla strips baked?

'Tip o' the Prongs' for the GRATE write-up, thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here