Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - Sweet Georgia Brown Smoked Bird - Meathead's book page 300.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - Sweet Georgia Brown Smoked Bird - Meathead's book page 300.

Hello. Just joined...
    I tried the Sweet Georgia Brown Smoked Bird recipe this weekend. The slow cook was fine. The issue was getting the skin crispy. I followed the directions as per the recipe to sear it but because there is sugar in the Memphis Dust it burned (as I thought it would). (I always follow a recipe to the letter the first time I try it even against my judgement).

I am using Webber Performer Kettle 22" with the Slow n Sear and the Thermoworks Smoke pit thermometer.
    Is the problem the Slow n Sear? because that thing gets screaming hot when full of hot coals... 900F+.

I started with only a few coals for the smoke then lit 3/4 chimney till ashed over and added it to the others in the slow n sear. 30 seconds on that and the rub was badly burned and the internal temp hadn't moved.. What am I missing?.... How can I get crispy skin and use a rub with sugar in it?...Meathead says its possible using that method in the book but it didn't work for me..
    Thanks in advance.

I would love to know the answer to this myself....

Comment

I asked about this a couple years ago. The book has 225F for that recipie but the website has 325, largely because of the skin issue.

I’ve never been successful at post crisping chicken skin over direct. It either burns or falls off. I think you might be able do this if you post-fix the skin by running 450-500F to finish (not direct), but I just default to 325F for the whole cook now.

I do like wings at 225F but then I deep fry to finish them.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you. The only parts of a bird I cook at 225* are the wings. Everything else gets cooked as hot as the kettle will go.I should add that the 225* only applies if I am only cooking wings.

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
      I asked about this a couple years ago. The book has 225F for that recipie but the website has 325, largely because of the skin issue.

I’ve never been successful at post crisping chicken skin over direct. It either burns or falls off. I think you might be able do this if you post-fix the skin by running 450-500F to finish (not direct), but I just default to 325F for the whole cook now.

I do like wings at 225F but then I deep fry to finish them.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...arts-or-pulled
      Thanks very much... that is very interesting... I had a feeling I might end up doing just that... I am doing it again this w/e so I will try.. 250 or so in kettle with smoke to 140oF internal temo then in the oven at 500F until skin crispy.... will post here with results...

Comment

OK so I had another go at this and it was much better. I smoked it at 300F. This was done by setting up the grill for a 225-275 smoke on the slow n sear but not closing down the vents when the grill hit 200. with vents almost all the way open the grill stabilised at 300 which i was happy with.

Came out very well. Chicken still very juicy and the skin was excellent... much crispier and not at all burned. Think I will stick with this next time.. seems like a good compromise of temp and crispiness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here