Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20lb Turkey in Large BGE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20lb Turkey in Large BGE?

So I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and my wife thinks we need the mother of all turkeys probably around 20 pounder. Will that fit on my large big green egg? Obviously not going to be able to spatchcock it unfortunately.

that's going to be difficult , especially if its in a roasting pan. Biggest I've ever fit was 16lb and it was a pain as parts were not so protected by the triangular plate-setter.

Comment

Do you have the Eggspander or Woo? If so, I would break the dirty bird down and cook it in pieces. Cutting the spine out, taking the legs and wings off might offer you a better option as you can fit all the pieces in the BGE easier that if it was whole. If you put a larger foil pan in the bottom, under the grate and above the platesetter, to catch all the drippings, I bet you could get the whole dirty bird to fit. However, that is going to be tight.

After poking around a little bit, I found that a "typical" 20 lb dirty bird requires a roasting pan of about 16"x13"x3". So it should fit in your Egg. If you can get the dome down, it will cook fine. If you are seeing hot spots around the plate setter, you can always rotate the dirty bird to even out the points of direct heat.

I have never had a dirty bird on my BGE, so I am just spit-balling here.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Spoken like a true turkey lover. hehe

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        well said

I never go over a 14lber. Get two smaller turkeys less they get dry from having to be cooked so long. Good excuse to use two different rubs.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Or 2 different cookers if you have that option.

• Rjbachtold
        Rjbachtold commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately this is my only cooker...but I think I’m going to give it a try. We don’t have the bird yet so I like the idea of testing the spacing before we commit to smoking or throwing it in the oven.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Go with 2 turkeys and do them different! this is your chance to experiment !

I've done 21lbs. ;-)

Plate setter under the grate (no Meathead-style gravy setup - has to be done separately). If you have a paella pan that fits (14" if I'm thinking right), you can put the bird right in it. See my recipe for details of the method. Double-check that it will all fit ahead of time - the biggest threat is the dome thermometer. You don't want it puncturing the bird.

My wife has four imperatives for turkey: gravy that’s not smoky, stuffing in the bird for drippings, the turkey is “done”, including good skin, and no

Comment

It should fit. Will be tight. I cooked a 20+ lb Turkey some years ago in a large bge. Try to talk her out of it. Tough to keep the breast moist. Let it sit. I cut open too soon and juice poured out of the breast and left them a bit dry.

Comment

I have cooked close to that size on my Kamado Rocket. I cooked indirect with a drip pan on the lower deflector stone and the bird straight in the grill. Turned out great.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It works! In fact, I think one year it was a 23 lb bird.

One bird in one egg as a first time cook with that size is not what to hang Thanksgiving success on.

Sure EdF it can be done - but did you hang a first time event on the outcome? And you're a superior human being - keep that in mind with your advice.

Ahumadora has a grate idea on two different tastes (see what I did there?) and Steve B is right about using two cookers.

Divide and conquer. Practice risk mitigation and contingency planning at the same time. And have a grate T-Day!

(two GREATS are better than one - see what I did there?)

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, you're right about the risk mitigation. I had already done quite a few before that. Thanks for chiming in!

I recommend you just buy a pit barrel cooker. You can do 2-12 lb turkeys! So perfect!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here