Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endorse my Pork Butt's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endorse my Pork Butt's

After what I consider was an embarrassing disaster on my chicken leg ¼ meals a few weeks back I was in two minds whether to do it as a meal again given my "Boo-Boo" (posted about the experience). That said if I don’t get something right I don’t give up. I waited a while before another attempt (so it wasn’t still fresh in their minds) and served leg ¼’s this past Friday. A few chirps from the lads when they heard what was for lunch. I took it on the chin and went about my business. I put 43 frozen pieces in a cooler box in 6% salt brine overnight. Just before smoking I sprinkled them with a shop bought BBQ rub (a good one). A couple of the pieces were still semi frozen. Had the oven settled at 350F before putting in the 4 loaded racks. The temp took a dive and it battled on at around 210F for about an hour before it started to rise again slowly. Learnt from my previous glitches so had started the cook earlier just in case and that was a good thing. Never got the temp back to my target of 350F and only got as high as 270F. The pieces were in for close on 90 minutes when I took random IT temps from the different racks and again after 2 hours. The meat was 160-165 and very moist. I still had a bit of time and the skin was a bit rubbery looking so the flat top was put into action. Browned them skin side down first and then on the bone side and back into the cooling oven (had turned the heat off). With my smoker door slightly ajar, the inside of my wagon got to a temp of 96F (shushu which is Xhosa for hot). Well long story short the pieces turned out great. Go ahead and mention it didn’t happen….
    That leads me to - I’m doing pulled pork for them on Monday and not in my wagons smoker. I’m doing them on my new kettle that I’ve only had one cook on and that being a few chicken breasts. I found it relatively easy to get it to temp and hold. I have 2 butts - 8 and 10 pound.
    I say "Fortune Flavours the Brave. No Venture no Gain."

No pics, no cred. It didn't happen..

Comment

We all have our misses, but if we learn from them, the experience only makes us better. This time you knew how to handle the situation. Great thing about pork butts on a new cooker is that they do so well holding in a cambro. So while being brave I would still suggest starting a little early on the cook in case of problems. How do I know? Learned from experience. Fortune also favors the prepared. 🙂

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Or as we sometimes say "DAMHIKT"!

Great job you are learning. Actually that is how I learn best. The bigger the mistak the better the lesson . I guess that is why age brings wisdom. Keep taking notes so you don’t have to rely on your memory and blaze on!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to make notes on mistakes they burnt into your brain for a long time.🤔

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here