Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Help!

I'm smoking a turkey today for the first time in my WSM 22.5. I have modified my usual recipe from Jamie Purviance's Smoke book for the WSM. I did not stuff the turkey and put the Turkey on the top and the pan for the juices (and 3 cups of chicken stock) on the bottom rack. This adds a bunch of space between the turkey and the pan. I started the turkey breast down with aluminum foil covering the breast and flipped at 1.5 hours and removed the alumnium.

Anyway, I am three hours in. I was expecting 4-4.5 hours for an 18lb turkey but I am about 10 degrees away from finishing. I have closed most of the vents down but I am still running at 277F. Dinner is not until 5. What should I do with the Turkey to have it in good shape for dinner? Thanks in advance.

Would be easier if we knew what the local time was to start with.

Comment

It is now 3pm PDT. I started it at 12PDT.

Comment

Personally, I'd be jacking up that temperature to 325F (indirect), regardless of the local time. It'll help the skin too.

Comment

Wrap and put cooler to keep it warm... You would want it to rest for 20 to 30 minutes after taking it off the grill; so it sounds like you need to keep it for ready for an extra hour. Probably keep it up to two in the cooler

Comment

• djl
            djl commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with EdF. I would not trying lower the temp! Hard enough to get good skin.

I have an 18" and I usually run at 325 for 3 1/2 to 4 hours for an ~18lb bird. When you say you are 10 degrees from being done, where are you measuring? The thigh, the breast, both? At 155 everywhere? How does the skin look? If you are that close on temps, you may want to take it out and cambro it or put it in a low oven.

Comment

Thanks. It is resting now in a cooler. The skin did not turn out as well as it usually does on the gas grill. I'm thinking that is mostly due to the aluminum foil on the breast. The back looks really good and wasn't wrapped. The temp started at about 300 and slowly crept up to 350 before I flipped the bird and removed the foil. I added a little wood at that point as well. The temps spiked up to 410 so I started closing down the vents. I removed the turkey when the breast hit 160. I checked several points in the breast with a Thermapen in addition to the Maverick shown in the pick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	576740

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              "...before I flipped the bird..." LOL
              Sorry, couldn’t let that slide by.
              Yes, I’m 55 going on 12. ;-)

• Goes To 11
              Goes To 11 commented
              Editing a comment
              "...before I flipped the bird..." LOL
              Sorry, couldn’t let that slide by.
              Yes, I’m 55 going on 12. ;-)

LOL. I missed that when I wrote it.

Check out my method for stuffed turkey. You may like it. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ockwell-turkey

Comment

I know I’m late to the party...but I agree with EdF and @djl... If the bird is where it needs to be...get the skin "crispy" and hold it in a Cambro or faux Cambro...whatever you have on hand. Heck, even an oven set as low as it will go...but prevent it from drying out.
              Last edited by surfdog; October 8, 2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Well, it turned out great. The turkey was a big hit. The dark meat had a significant smoke ring. The white meat was less smokey but my wife thought it was good as the dark meat. Our guests took much of the turkey home. I'm more used to everything being finished a little late rather than early.

Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey2.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	576947

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to hear it was great! Late is my norm too, but in this case you did really good being early.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad it worked out. Looks excellent.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here