Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some appetizer help... (Chicken Thighs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some appetizer help... (Chicken Thighs)

Hiya folks!

I am having company over in a week and have the main meal planned out. However, I need some advice on what to do for an appetizer. I want to use some chicken thighs, but I don't know what to do with them.
    It needs to be mild, as the people coming don't have much tolerance for spicy foods.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thai grilled chicken skewers (chicken satay) with peanut coconut sauce. Here's one pretty good recipe: https://www.splendidtable.org/recipe...hicken-skewers

Click image for larger version  Name:	ThinkstockPhotos-514832303.jpg?itok=FMnSpCvH.jpg Views:	1 Size:	361.2 KB ID:	572595

They're better with boneless skinless thigh meat than with the b/s breasts called for in the recipe. More flavorful and not as dry.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; September 30, 2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Satay, love it !!!!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm definitely a thigh man!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Splendid Table.

+1 on what Kathryn said! I love chicken satay, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you like. P.S It would aslo help to know what the main meal is, in case you wanted to stick with a theme.

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Main course is pulled pork with mac and cheese.
      But to be honest, I am not a themed meal kinda guy... I like to present variety

Smoke different kinds of sausage and slice them up on a platter surrounded by different kinds of cheese, crackers and even some dips.

Comment

Chicken seekh kababs but roll them in meatballs and have a mint dipping sauce. They have kind of a Persian/ Indian taste to them so consider that with other items your serving but they are really great.

Also you can make them ahead of time and have them ready to go the day of, cook them and reheat them in the oven. Hope your party turns out well!!
      Last edited by Mark N; September 30, 2018, 08:58 AM. Reason: (forgot to say they could be made in advance)

Comment

I think you should punk your guests. Create a fiery sauce using habaneros and tell them that it's an apricot glaze.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          You' Bad!

• Xandera_7
          Xandera_7 commented
          Editing a comment
          If it wasn't my Mom... Maybe I would lol

Chicken Chesapeake. Server in appetizer sized bites. Much better with thigh than breast.

Comment

Yesterday I deboned thighs and cut off little pieces from the bottom of the thigh so they would be flatter, and cut off loose pieces of skin. Instead of throwing this stuff out like normal, I took those cut off pieces of meat and skin and put them on a skewer, meat-skin-meat etc. I cooked that skewer indirect at the same time that I cooked the thighs, and the skewer pieces were the most sought after bite of the meal. Next time I have time I will make several skewers by cutting pieces of meat with skin still attached and stacking them on a skewer. Cooking indirect until almost done then slather in sauce of choice and let it set up a little. Yummy thigh candy!

Comment

Here is an idea from Malcom Reed. He fixed these with chicken thighs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drlVux-LSMc
            I have yet to try this recipe, but it looks like it’s simple and can perhaps fit what you are looking for.
            Enjoy.

Comment

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good. I used to wrap chicken livers like that and throw in a water chestnut for a little crunch.

If you chop them up a bit, or grind, you could make a chicken lettuce wrap. Lots of recipes for that.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Chicken is great as a base for an Asian lettuce wrap.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here