Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat Turkey Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat Turkey Source

Like MH has said, "fat is flavor", and I believe this to be true in turkey as well. I don't think they all have the exact same fat %, and I think the really great ones I have cooked were likely higher fat. I wish they could grade them like beef and I would simply buy the prime, but I think the best we can expect is to find a source that consistently has juicy birds. Anyone have a source that always produces?
    Thanks

http://fossilfarms.com is pretty good. But you might want to look for a local grower, depending on where you live.

This was the last one we got from them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171123_170046.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	570407

Comment

Turkeys have very little to no visceral fat in the light meat. They have a bit in the dark. They all carry the bulk of their fat just under their skin.

Heritage breeds tend to have less fat than ye olde butterball. You will go insane trying to find a "well marbled" turkey. They're not like that. They don't fly, so they have no need of visceral fat.

If you want a consistently moist centerpiece bird, I'd recommend looking at goose instead of turkey. (note the extra fat in skinless goose):
      https://www.futurefit.co.uk/nutritio...rkey-v.-goose/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/christmas-turkey-why-not-go-for-a-goose-8390458.html

Britons know what's up.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        What about wild turkeys? Since they fly would they be more similar to a goose?

• Roodz
        Roodz commented
        Editing a comment
        My perception is that flying birds are actually leaner, is this not the case? I also know that visceral fat is fat around organs and I don't think leads to better meat taste. I am looking for fat within meat tissue, my theory is that is where turkey magic happens. Goose idea is a good one! Thanks

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Turkey has nearly no intramuscular fat in the breast meat. They don’t use their breasts for hardly anything. A goose that flies will. Turkeys fly short distances. So better than chickens, but not likely to store fat like a migratory bird.

I melt plenty of butter, and inject the heck out of that bird. One of the very few times I inject anything.

Comment

• jgreen
        jgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here