Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting article in Epicurious about crisping chicken skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting article in Epicurious about crisping chicken skin

I thought some here might find this article interesting:

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...Q4MTUwODA4OAS2

I do some of these things, but not all.

I wonder if one used their suggestion on Maggie’s chicken teddy Bears what the results would be.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead where is the thumbs down button?

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      Here it is👎

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      if you lrave it out long enough, will it grow "hair"?

I will read the article shortly. I will say that Cooks Illustrated uses baking soda to facilitate crisping of skin.

Comment

I do the dry brining, air chilling. I tried the baking soda once and did not like the results. It dried out the skin but the skin felt and tasted very papery/leathery to me

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Baking Soda, or baking powder?

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        treesmacker - you’re right. It’s baking powder, typo in my post. My comment refers to using baking powder as an aid to result in crispy skin

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        My recollection from Cooks Illustrated was baking SODA.

Careful folks - it's baking powder, not soda.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        BAKING powder, not BABY powder...

Thanks, I'm trying comp thighs again tomorrow on the racetrack of a kettle with a vortex. I'll add a sprinkling of powder, in a few minutes, for the overnight brining I've got going.
      Last edited by JGo37; September 21, 2018, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Interesting article. I do more chicken parts than whole chickens though. My best crispy skin is when I dry brine, refrigerate uncovered, and use corn starch just before I put it in the cooker. I serve bbq sauce on the side otherwise it rehydrates the skin.

Comment

Never had the wait time for dry brining before cooking but looks like it's worth a try. Did use baking powder along with my seasoning under the skin and found it helped to crisp the skin somewhat. Will have to try higher heat in the BGE next time along with the other tricks listed. Nice read on the technique.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            I dry-brine almost all of my meat. The salt penetrates the meat thoroughly seasoning it. It also changes the cell structure so that the meat retains more water when cooked.

I always get crispy skin. It must be the lard I fry in. 😀 Bring on teddy, I'm ready.

Comment

Interesting that she never explored alternate formats. I find that vertical roasting produces more crispy skin than traditional roasting. Spatchcocking also offers some upside over your football shaped chicken.

My next one, I think vertical roast, air dry, skin separate, herbs, and poking. I'm not messing with baking powder.

Comment

I generally do my chickens on the rotisserie on my gasser...the extra rotisserie burner crisps up the skin a treat. The trick is to stop it before it turns it to char...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here