Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken breast stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken breast stall?

Does this happen? I have some breasts on the Webber one touch and they seem to have stalled at 140. My grill is sitting at 240 according to my maverick. Has anyone else run into this with chickend breasts? Wrap like you would a butt or brisket.

Looks like a false alarm, temp rising now, slowly but rising.

Comment

Good to hear, never really noticed a chicken stall, but I do chicken at like 325 so that may be why.

Comment

Yes, we typically recommend cooking chicken much higher- if you're doing skin-on chicken it helps crisp it up, if you're doing skinless chicken breasts it quickens the cook time and help prevent them from drying out. I've cooked bonless skinless at 225-250 and didn't care for it quite as much, but it was still good.

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually do them over higher heat too, hopefully the aggressive wet brine will help keep them moist.

Chicken breasts don't stall.

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, that was what I thought, the grill needed a little more fuel, sitting around 300 now and the temp is moving nicely.

bboaf, do your chicken over indirect higher heat (325, even up to 390), not directly over high heat. Set up 2 zones if you can depending if you're using your Weber or not, or have a barrier if it's your BKK. If you find the skin is too rubbery for your tastes, skip the wet brine and do a dry brine, and pat dry the skin the best you can before cooking. If yo don't care about the skin or are doing skinless, I love a wet brine on skinless chicken and pork chops.

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! The breasts turned out ok, a little dry but great flavour, indirect higher heat will be used next time. I totally agree, wet brine superior to dry for skinless chicken and pork chops.
          Last edited by bbqoaf; January 25, 2015, 09:57 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here