Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning - the embarrassing way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning - the embarrassing way

Having read another post asking about multi-rack cooking leads me to share my experience this week, that was unfortunately somewhat embarrassing and a not so desirable experience for the some of the eaters I feed every day. Smoked 40 chicken ¼’s using 3 of my cookers racks (I can fit 10 racks stacked). The oven temp averaged around 320F and monitored in the centre of the cooking chamber that in this cook was just below the bottom most rack. In hindsight I did not take into account and made the following schoolboy errors that I should not have.
    1= The food had to be served at 1pm. I started the cook at 11am trusting I had more than enough time given when I cook spatchcock birds on multiple racks the birds are done within 80 minutes.
    2= I packed the ¼’s to close to each other on the 3 racks.
    3= I am aware of a fairly big temperature swing from bottom of cook chamber to the top and didn’t even consider taking this into account as the racks were all just above the centre part of the cooker and one on top of each other.
    4= 20 minutes before serving time I did a temp test on the top rack of pieces as they were easy to get to and the IT was @ around 155F. I was happy that I had enough time to finish the cook. I DID NOT check any of the pieces on the lower racks.
    5= Dishing time the pieces on the top rack were around 160 - 165.
    6= Served the food without checking any of the 2 lower rack pieces IT.

Well there were a whole lot of not properly cooked pieces served. Those that returned with their undercooked pieces (some didn’t) I deep fried until done. Like I said it was heart-breaking.
    Important lessons learnt that will prevent same happening again.
    1= The top rack will always be hotter than those below and rotating them is needed.
    2= The moisture that seeps to the pieces below cools the meat and will need more time to cook.
    3= Always check doneness of product on all racks.
    If I’ve missed anything else that I need to take into consideration please tell.
    PS. I have very forgiving customers - they didn’t shoot me.

The more embarrassing the mistake, the less chance there is of you forgetting it.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Damhikt!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      yip

Yup to what you should have done. Multiple probes at various points top to bottom.

Comment

Mistakes -- we all make them and we've all made them. Thanks for sharing. One of these days, I'll write up my biggest mistake for the Pit's enjoyment (in fact that's probably a good thread to start if it hasn't been yet...)

Comment

Ouch! So sorry about your misfortune. I bet you learned some valuable lessons though. I have been there and done that!

Comment

Sucks! Sometimes the adrenaline gets the best of us! Cheer up Amigo! Tomorrow is another cook...

Comment

There ain't no other way to learn. Only Yogi Berra can learn by having someone else teach him their experience. The rest of us are not so fortunate.

And keep the people that are upset away from the ones that are undecided...

Comment

As gi joe once said...and learning is half the battle. Good notes for everyone. Thank ya for manning up and reminding all of us.

Comment

For today I'm only going to tell of you that I was holding a VERY BLACK CHICKEN when my neighbor came around the corner of my garage several years ago. Long before joining AR Website. Details will not be following later. Enough said!

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  None needed. I think a lot of us can get that one by memory rather than imagination!

• DoubleUpOrQuit
                  DoubleUpOrQuit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The first time I used my rotisserie on my gas grill I forgot a drip pan. I also had a VBC.

That's a great story and something I'm sure we have all done in one manner or another. I have a rack system in my BBQ and while the racks are very close in temp, top to bottom, I have found that large volumes of food definitely change the timing of the food. I also find that the food on the bottom rack requires more frequent turning and mopping. There are times I mop nothing on the top racks. It sounds counterintuitive because I would assume that the juices dripping down would work as a mop of their own. Instead, the moisture from the meat on the bottom works almost like a water pan for the meat above it.

Comment

I bet your glad no one got sick. Ya really dodged one there. Keep workin hard!

Comment

Sorry for your embarrassment. Thanks for sharing your story, it's a great reminder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here