Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition chicken thigh tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition chicken thigh tips?

Hello all, brand new member here and already I'm both humbled and awed by the accumulated knowledge and friendly demeanor of everyone here!

I'm entering my first competition cook-off next weekend and would greatly appreciate and welcome your tips and suggestions on cooking this meat up in a successful fashion!

With gratitude and respect for any assistance you can render - Jonathan

Good luck and it's great to hear you're competing. I'm still trying to master skin's crispness too. What are you using to cook the thighs?

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking you could use a pocket torch to crisp the skin, just like you would use it to get a crispy shell on a creme brulee!

A simple Weber charcoal grill. I'm cooking the this in a small individual loaf pan with ghee (clarified butter), some chicken stock, garlic and herbs. Cleaning and cooking the thighs per the awesome instructions here: https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/com...hicken-thighs/

Comment

• Thom Emery
      Thom Emery commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats a good cook plan

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      this is the method we use in competition

The mini loaf pan is a good idea - consistency in presentation earns points. I've used a hand held propane cylinder with the common torch tip, but it's hard to get them to look all the same. For the first smoke, the setup below might give you ideas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Weber 2-zone.jpg Views:	7 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	559256

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here