Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap and Cheerful Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap and Cheerful Chicken

Cooking Chicken legs with backs attached - still trying to get pleasing looking crispy skin.

Picked up legs on way home from work, in a hurry, just want food fast
    - cooked on 22 inch Weber with S'nS - sped up lighting process with hair drier (man that works)
    - no water
    - no smoke
    - no brine - just salted with steak spice and threw on grill (broke all rules)
    - cooked indirect at 360 degrees. I am experimenting with cooking hotter for better skin results.
    - cooked to internal of 190 degrees - Nirvana for me - still juicy
    - added hot coals to S'nS basket for a sear (mistake - it got too hot). Next time I would not add the additional hot coals.
    - seared skin side of chicken but it immediately started on fire so stopped the sear
    - had some Alabama sauce left over in fridge - love that stuff
    - ridiculously good, nice looking skin
    - still not crispy enough
    - There was a scent of charcoal to the meat (mild) that was really nice
    - A good friend happened by and she couldn't say enough about both the chicken and the Alabama sauce - Meathead you make me look good.

Tried same approach on the gasser last nite. Photo's below. Tried 2 new things:
    - seared over direct flame and was able to control heat. Not overly enamored with the approach - meat was starting to dry out as skin got to where I wanted it - learning continues - 1 - 2 day dry brine next time.
    - Covered one leg in Memphis Dust - damn that tasted good and really made the skin look good.
    - Alabama sauce on the other two - did I say I love that stuff?

Notice below how pale the skin is that had no MD? I seared them over direct heat to improve the look but lost some juice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	559221

The one below has the Memphis dust.

Name:	IMG_0524.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	559218

The last picture is the seared thigh with Alabama sauce. Yum.

Name:	IMG_0523.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	559220
    Attached Files

I'm gonna try this next on the outer rim of a 22 with a stuffed vortex running hot. I'll let you know or do a post on the results. It' brisket this weekend and the chicken during this coming week.

Comment

Looks dang good! Congratulations

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook. I let my Weber run as hot as it will for chicken. That helps crisp the skin.

Comment

Chicken looks great but I’m struggling with the 190* internal, gets too dry at that temp for me,

Comment

• Hugh
            Hugh commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear you. I've been working my temps up on dark meat starting from 165 and I found the legs still drippin at 190. Doesn't leave me any room to sear though so I will continue to fiddle.

Looks great! I’ve not perfected good chicken skin with my SNS in indirect mode yet. My offset at the same temp (350F) seems to have no issue. Go figure. On my kettle I have used a full set of Grillgrates and griled direct at 350 to get good skin on my chicken.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            That is most likely due to higher air flow in the offset.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik I am thinking you are right. The offset has a lot more air flow for sure, with a 3 inch exhaust and usually wide open on the intake vents on the firebox, with me mostly managing the size of the fire for temperature control. Of course, I pay the price to run the offset - it uses about 3x the fuel of the kettle for the same cook.

Agree with Troutman , 190 is to high for me. I get em at 155 & start searing flaming, hot flipping frequently to 170 - 175. jfmorris said cookin at 350, which you were at 360, that’s ok. A little lick of flames in the searing might do the trick, just don’t burn it, flip it.
          I also use a Penzey’s Arizona Dreaming rub, seems to work well for me.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            An old Texas recipe I haven't used in years is to baste almost continuously with Wishbone Italian dressing during a hot sear. Man that was some good chicken !! I may have to try that one again !!!!

My last word on cooking chicken leg quarters to perfection.....VORTEX !!!

Name:	chick 03.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	559580

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, where did you get the grate? I assume that is your 26" Weber kettle?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            No Thunder77, it's a 22". That's the Weber gourmet series grate. I got this one in a local BBQ store but they are available on Amazon. Has the removable center piece. I think I gave like $35 for it.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Too bad they don't have that grate for he 26"

Ahhh, you made me laff. Do you know how many times I have used that one on my wife? She doesn't buy it any more!

Comment

Hugh, you have been a member a little over a year, first congratulations on your 2nd annieversareey. Second, and most importantly, you never have your buying urges under control as long as you are associated with this group, never. You are bombarded with new stuff, new techniques, those horribly great pictures of outstanding cooks, dishes of meals. The only way to have any control for MCS is to QUIT.
            Have fun & keep smokin!

Comment

Well that was disappointing....

I'm trying to get golden crispy skin on my chicken (like Troutman with his vortex). The only thing I changed from my last cook is I went to a 2 day dry brine (zero previously), and added baking powder (1 part to 3 parts kosher salt mixed in a bowl). I did not see a significant improvement in browning, but it was crispier.

First observation was when I pulled the chicken from the 2 day dry brine, you could see baking powder on parts of the chicken thighs. Not appetizing and I wondered if it would effect the flavor (it did not).

Name:	IMG_0530.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	561559

I pulled these pieces at 175 internal and you can see how pale they are. The baking powder disappeared in the sear in the next step:

Name:	IMG_0533.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	561560

I still had to finish them over direct at high heat flipping constantly. Still came out juicy. So still a great cook with Alabama sauce, but the quest for golden skin continues....

Name:	IMG_0534.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	561561

You'd think I'd get sick of this meal...but I don't.

On a different topic - MCS. I'm saving up for a PBC (Vortex is my backup for chicken!) so I have to knock some other things off my list. I've been yearning for a quick way to light my coals - dragons, loofts, the list goes on.

So I'm looking at my propane fire pit and the thought crosses my mind...'now that sucker would light a chimney'.

Name:	IMG_0529.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	561562Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	561564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	561563

Well that worked. Needed a dozen coals for a slow cook. 7 minutes and they were ashed over. Small wins.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool! And keep knocking things off yer list, smoke on!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here