Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

simple chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple chicken

Here's how I love my chicken, simple. Can't get any simpler than this. First I try to get the best chicken available. I'm partial to Bell and Evans chickens. They test like chicken. Wipe dry with a paper towel. Heavily salt every inch of it and place it on a cooling rack set over a rimmed sheet in the refrigerator for a day or two. When ready to cook, fire up the PBC using lump charcoal. Get it to 350 and hang the bird. Take it to 145 degrees and slightly open the lid to crank the heat up. Mine got to 450. I pull it out at 155 breast temp. Let it rest Then cut into serving sizes Enjoy I don't use any other seasoning or wood for smoke.

Ernest that looks awesome. One question. You mention lump charcoal, but it looks like you used briquettes?

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I do use kingsford competition briquettes to start the fire. About 20 in my compact chimney. Damp them over the Royal oak lump.
      I should have put that in the post.

Ernest that's interesting. Why use the briquettes at all? Lump lights just fine all by itself.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Might just be in my head but I think the briquettes light faster and the uniform shape work better in the chimney.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      You have a good point with the chimney working better with briquettes.

I did a chicken yesterday too. I spatchcock (cut the backbone to lay it spread eagle over the greates) and smoke around 325 with apple logs. Dry brine with my rib rub for about 2 hrs prior. Take breasts to 160-165 and bring in. Had fried potatoes as well! Great minds....

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Meal of Gods!!
      Start eating with a fork, two bites in and go medieval!! LOL

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! We go through lots of napkins 'round here.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here