Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you change or add? Chicken nachos, a uniqe on-the-fly invention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you change or add? Chicken nachos, a uniqe on-the-fly invention

Some of these pics are a little repetitive from previous cooks, but that's how we roll, right?

2 Large bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. Dry brined uncovered in fridge 9 hrs. One dry brined with HRR, one dry brined with Southern Flavor.

At the start:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6454.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	55412

After 9hrs:

Name:	IMAG6456.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	55413

Used approx 1/2 chimney K-ford blue bag well lit, 1 chunk of ash wood. Using my 2 brick indirect method on my Web 22. One Maverick prob in each breast, one near center of pieces to monitor cooker temp.

Name:	IMAG6457.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	55414

Cook time approx 1 hr, temp averaged 380F. A little higher than normal but this sure makes the skin crispy but not burned.

This one is the Southern Flavor seasoning, it is naturally a very black seasoning.

Name:	IMAG6466.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	55415

Taken to about 165 give or take. Look at that juice! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6468.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	55416

Now on to the nachos. My wife & I brainstormed this, using our favorite sides. We love butter-sauteed fresh mushrooms, and we love EVOO & garlic-sauteed fresh broccoli. So, let's try them on nachos and see how this turns out. May be a hit, maybe not.

I put a plate full of my favorite tortilla chips in the oven at 245 after giving them a very light spritz of Pam. Once warmed, add a light base layer of mild cheddar. Then add diced sauteed mushrooms.

Name:	IMAG6474.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	55417

Next goes the sauteed broccoli.

Name:	IMAG6470.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	55418

Then the sliced & diced chicken meat:

Name:	IMAG6471.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	55419

Then a topper of mozzarella (what we had on hand). I figured more cheddar might be too much so we went with this.

Name:	IMAG6473.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	55420

Back in the oven at 350 until the cheese looked right, maybe 15-20 min or thereabouts.

Name:	IMAG6479.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	55421

Name:	IMAG6481.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	55422

The conclusion? It needed somethign else. We're thinking some kind of sauce. We tried a few dipping sauces --Frank's, Sriracha, a Thai pineapple chili (very good), but it needed something else. DW suggested sauteing onions which I vetoed, perhaps this would've been wise to do.

Ok chefs, tell me what you'd add to this!

I have a feelign many of you would say skip the broccoli on nachos. To be honest, as much as I love sauteed broccoli, it didn't seem a strong fit to this dish.
    Last edited by Huskee; January 23, 2015, 08:06 AM.

I also realize I should've added some Parmesan and diced tomatoes....

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd hold the shrooms, but other than that it looks jam-up!

Maybe some pickled jalapenos on the side. Nachos just don't seem like nachos w/o sliced pickled jalapenos.

I might also go buck wild and throw a few dollops of hot artichoke and spinach dip.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Meant to add that's one nice smokenator you got there boss!

This look AMAZING Bro. Hard to critic something that looks this good.

My two cents.

On the broccoli. Smaller pieces if you keep it. Like using a peeler on the stalk to make very thin slices for just a bit of that flavor. I absolutely love broccoli so I vote to keep it.

I love the cheese choices with the broccoli and mushrooms but I would consider a white queso.

adds:
    Fresh guacamole or slices avocado
    Pico or those tomatoes you mentioned
    Sour cream (its not like we can get queso fresco around here)
    Flour chips (personal fav)

Comment

Thanks Jon! It did look pretty nice, but the flavor just wasn't on par with the eye appeal. My wife also said she wished it had avocado (or did she say guac?, I can't remember) so good call there. Also queso is a good idea. I was picturing some zesty white sauce. I can't use flour chips as much as I love them, DW has to be gluten free (celiac disease).

Comment

Loooks goood!

Where is the jalapenos??

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah - totally agreed Steve!

You think they'd fit on chicken & broccoli nachos? Hmm. I can see beef or steak nachos...

Comment

Yeah, you might be right.

The part of the country where I live gets jalapenos on everything though... especially if it is even remotely tex-mex

Comment

Hey I wont knock it until I try it, it might be pretty dern good. I tend to pick them off nachos at restaurants (I'm a northerner, what can I say) but I like them on certain sandwiches at Subway and on pizza occasionally. EDIT: Oh wait, I'm thinking banana pepper rings. Yeah I dont care for jalapenos.

Comment

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              Try using fresh jalapeños and fine dice them.It's a completely different flavor than pickled jalapeños. If you don't care for that much heat, substitute ancho-poblano peppers. Great flavor, less heat.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            ... I tend to pick them off nachos at restaurants (I'm a northerner, what can I say) but I like them on certain sandwiches at Subway and on pizza occasionally. EDIT: Oh wait, I'm thinking banana pepper rings. Yeah I dont care for jalapenos.
            It must be an MI thing. I'm with you on both counts.

Comment

Maybe a sprinkle of one of the rubs? How about a drizzle of bbq sauce?

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually thought about BBQ sauce. I guess I had in mind more of a parmesan thing, so I never went through with it. I should've though!

Lose the green stuff. Replace with diced avocado, goes well with chicken
              I go the bechamel route for nachos (or burger glop) and shredded cheese to finish off. Parmesan would be nice finishing touch.
              I'm kinda weird coz I don't really dig too much cheese on nachos, that's why I prefer the bechamel route.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                That's kind of what I thought would be suggested. Thanks!

From my college days, I use a row of guacamole, a row of salsa, and a row of sour cream on top. In my case, pulled pork is the ticket, with jalapenos under the cheese. It just works, and works well, I might add...

Comment

For tang, cant go wrong with pickled red onions, I would serve them cold on the side as a condiment (all amounts approximations except the onion, this is not a sensitive recipe, as long as you douse the onions in warm vinegar it will work to some degree):

- 1 red onion, diced to your liking, I like thin long slices
                - 1 cup white vinegar
                - 1/4 cup of red wine, balsamic, sherry or other flavoured vinegar of your choice, my fav is red wine vinegar.
                - Pinch of salt
                - teaspoon of white sugar

Add everything to bowl except onions and microwave on high until mixture is starting to bubble.
                Add diced onions and put in fridge to cool, they will be ready to eat in 10 min or so.
                I do a big batch with 2-3 onions every few weeks and have them on hand in the fridge at all times.

Your chicken looks sublime, a perfectly juicy, seasoned chicken breast is one of the most under appreciated of all meats!

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks bbqoaf! Great recipe. And I totally agree- so often we're used to dry chicken breast that when you get a juicy tender one it's unrecognizably good!

BBQoaf, try adding whole allspice berries to your pickling juice, fantastic stuff.
                I love pickled red onions on burgers

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great idea, I will definitely try that. I do them with whole grain mustard sometimes, and spicy ones are also awesome as a 50/50 mix with jalapenos.

For a low class solution, I'd add tangy ranch and bacon; Health it up real good. Those two ingredients pretty much fix all my problems.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear you there!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here