Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie chicken question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie chicken question.

Hi guys! After following the site for several years I decided to sign up. This is on account of my old Char-Broil gas grill couldn't be held together any longer with the old southern tricks of duct tape (figuratively) and bailing wire (literally). So, after reading your reviews I sprang for a Weber Summit S470 which I have had for a few weeks now and am just getting to know it. Love it so far! One question, however. The review noted that they cooked a rotisserie chicken using just the infrared burner but I can't find a recipe so at Meathead's advice, I'm putting the question out there. I've got all kinds of recipes using the regular burners but none for the infrared burner. How do you do it? Do you brine it? Do you baste it? Do you put stuff under the skin, etc? Is it better to use the regular burners first and finish with the IR or is it better to go IR all the way? Thanks and I look forward to your replies.

You shouldn't need the infrared burner. In fact, I recommend the gas burners over the infrared. If you are cooking directly over the gas burners the drippings will create grill smoke and because the bird will be exposed directly to radiant heat the skin will have picked up great color by the time the meat hits a safe internal temperature. I would brine the chicken 24 hours in advance. Lightly oil the skin and hit it with some cracked pepper and paprika (maybe a little garlic powder too). Set it up directly over the burner and after 15 minutes check on it. If you are creating a grease fire you'll definitely want to dial down the heat. In fact, I'd put it over the burner at medium heat.

Congrats on your new acquisition!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

On my Summit I use the gas burners on either side of the bird for the entire cook and I use the infrared at the end to crisp up the skin. No changes to recipes otherwise.

Comment

I usually wet brine my poultry, season and truss it then stick it on the spit, nothing special. I then start with the side burners on my Summit just like adamjs83 does at about 325-350* (via a grate thermometer). At about the 150-155* mark in the breast meat I turn off the side burners and crank up the infrared and crisp the chicken. Pull it when it's visually done and/or the breast meat is 160-165* and the dark meat is approaching about 175*. Perfect every time !! Good luck !!

Comment

Other than dry brining (my preference), everything they said puts you right where you want to be, including forgetting the IR with this procedure. You’re gonna love it. Cook on!

Comment

The only 2 things I can add here is to place a drip pan under the bird, and wrap a nice chunk of apple or pecan in foil and set on a flavorizer bar over a going burner. I'm not a big fan of poultry grease smoking off of the flavorizers but do enjoy a kiss of smoke.

Comment

I also have a weber s470 grill and weber suggests to use a rottissari and the IR burner for the firs 20 min to brown the skin and then shut that off and light the two burners on, one burner on each side of the bird to finish cooking. this way the juices stay in the bird. I have done this and it comes out great.

Comment

Follow up ? For the pros as I’ve never ventured to try rotisserie... how long is the cook time running?

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can figure about 1-1.25 hour for an average chicken at 350ish on the rotisserie.

I have a different grill with rotisserie and I solely use the rear IR burner only. Spice/rub the chicken as you wish. I usually salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and rub it down above and below the skin with butter. Skin gets so crisp and it turns out great.

Comment

Thanks Troutman

Comment

Thanks to all. Gonna try one this weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here