Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherry Bombed Stuffed Cornish Game Hens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherry Bombed Stuffed Cornish Game Hens

Little background to this cook, when I was in college I lived in Animal House. We had maybe two of us who actually knew how to cook something, Cornish Game Hens was one of my favorites. I'd cook them a dozen at a time and they'd be devoured immediately. Well fast forward a lot of years and it's something I've kind of forgotten about and gotten away from. Time to change course and revisit an old recipe !!

This is a dish that is relatively simple to cook but comes out kind of elegant so good for guests or that special someone. Although Cornish Game Hens sounds somewhat exotic, they are are just little baby chickens taken early for their size. The taste, although I would argue a little more tender and a bit sweeter, is really just chicken.

I do mine stuffed with Troutman's dirty rice. Start by sauteing some shallots and garlic in some EVOO and butter until sweated down. I then add some chicken livers (you can substitute ground beef or sausage if you don't like liver) until partially cooked (will finish inside the bird).....

Click image for larger version

Name:	cornish 01.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	543381

At the same time I take a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice and cook it on the side, takes about 30 minutes. When the two are finished I combine and stir in the pan. I let the mixture cool down before stuffing. I usually finish with some chopped scallions for a nice punch and crunch but I was all out....

Name:	cornish 02.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	543382

I salt brined the birds overnight then stuffed them with the rice mixture.....

Name:	cornish 03.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	543383

I then trussed each bird (optional but highly recommended) and seasoned them with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon....

Name:	cornish 04.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	543384

Back in the fridge to hang out while I fire up lil Cherry Bomb. Big shout out to the combo Fireboard and BBQ Guru Fan, makes cooking so much more manageable and consistent.....

Name:	cornish 06.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	543385

Here are the hens about halfway through the cook. Keep a consistent 350* in the kettle, shooting for about 160* IT in the breast meat. Added one chunk of pecan wood for a kiss of smoke......

Name:	cornish 07.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	543386

And finally the net result. Took about 1 hour and 15 minutes due to the stuffing but all was good.....

Name:	cornish 08.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	543387

Had plenty of heat left so I threw on some skewered asparagus to go with the hens......

Name:	cornish 09.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	543388

Try this dish sometime, simple but as I say elegant enough to impress. Troutman needs to eat.......

Name:	cornish 010.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	543389

Damn those birds look delicious. Very nice.

Comment

Awesome! I love them with rice stuffing like that. If you want to be adventurous (I know you do), put some currants into the stuffing. Wish I knew where that recipe went!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea raisins and cranberries along with slivered almonds work well, but I prefer savory with dirty rice.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha!

That looks great!

Comment

Growing up a place near Lafayette (In Maurice I think) sold boneless stuffed chickens. Think they still do. Shrimp etouffee was my fave.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve had those boneless stuffed chickens, HEB sells them frozen along with turducken. Really good but a bit too expensive for my taste.

That looks drool-worthy! Another great Troutman cook and write-up!

Comment

Looks delicious and nutritious

Comment

Looks good! I always pass them up but I need to give them a try sometime.

Comment

Dang.

Comment

Those look amazing!

Comment

Is that the same as a partridge?

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nope, the name is a misnomer. It's just a juvenile chicken, plain and simple......

• Mudbeaver
                    Mudbeaver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman so what I call a pullet, ha ha, my wife would kill me!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here