Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerk Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerk Chicken

I had a couple of cryovac packages of Perdue chicken thighs from BJ's Wholesale in the freezer. They have 4 pieces in each package. I thawed them both out and put them in a Ziploc bag with 1/2 cup of Spur Tree jerk seasoning (wet rub), which came with my order of pimento wood chips, and 1/4 cup soy sauce to make a marinade. I marinated for about 24 hours in the fridge, turning and mushing the bag around a few times.

Adapting a method from Serious Eats, I soaked a couple of cups of bay leaves in hot water for 20 mins while the smoker was pre-heating to 250°F. Then I made a sort of mat of the soaked leaves on the smoker grate and laid the thighs on it not touching each other. I put pimento wood chips in the smoker's chip loader which holds about 1/2 cup. I put the Mav food probe into the thickest part of the biggest thigh and set the alert for 160°F. In about 40 mins the Mav was reading 158°F so I went and lit my gasser and set it to warp 10 to pre-heat. When it was hot, I took the thighs out of the smoker and put them on the gasser, skin side up. The hardest part of this was knocking the bay leaves off the bottom of the chicken. I cooked at warp 10 turning frequently and moving the pieces around to get even browning/caramelization on both sides. Here are the results:

The whole rack of thighs:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150118_203606.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	53929

Close-up of the skin side:

Name:	20150118_203616.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	53930

Close-up of the bottom side:

Name:	20150118_203625.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	53931

I served with garlic mashed potatoes. It was delicious. Juicy and perfectly cooked through. the skin was bite-through, which is fine for me and the most I could expect with the chicken being wet-brined/marinated.

The next time I will probably add some minced scotch bonnet/habaneros to the marinade since it was not quite as hot/spicy as I like my jerk.

DEW
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 18, 2015, 08:06 PM.

BOOM! Beautiful!

Comment

I like the Grace jerk spice that I got in the supermarket and used for my jerk pork better than this one, but I got a fairly large amount of it with the pimento wood.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        See what happens when you take chicken advices from Huskee...great job Dew

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, DW.

That's some good looking chicken right there.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Deuce. It tasted even better than it looks.

• chudzikb
        chudzikb commented
        Editing a comment
        Which is the most important part at home, who cares what it looks like if it tastes great!

That's win, win! Good looks, good taste. Nice job!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

You nailed it perfectly DW! That's as good a job as I've ever seen. I can almost smell them up here, in Alaska! lol

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Strat. Considering it was pitch black outside when I was searing them, and my backyard lighting set-up is considerably sub-optimal, i.e., I couldn't see squat, I am really happy with how they turned out.

DEW

That's some great looking chicken thighs, nicely executed!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank's, Henrik. Your cooks always bowl me over, so I'm glad you appreciate mine.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here