Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you gonna WING it Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife absolutely loves chicken wings. We have them at least once a week. So we will be having them on Sunday to celebrate. I cook them using the Slow n Sear about 350 degrees for 30 mins, flip them for another 30 and then sear them. Use some hickory chunks for smoke. Throw them in a mixture of butter and Frank’s Red Hot right before eating. I think I might try some cherry wood on Sunday.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Cherry is the bomb. My favorite especially for chicken

So I was talking with my esteemed BBQ colleague, HouseHomey , and he mentioned putting wings in a pickle brine 24-hrs before cooking. Has anyone else given this one a try?

This is something that is going down for sure this weekend! Happy Wing Day everyone! I can't wait to see what we come up with for this holiday!

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we should give away a shiny red kettle to the best idea and presentation

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh, I see that now. Steve B

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      MWOE2007 Yes, or you can jut make your own puckle brine and use it. I prefer a dill ir spicy dill. Can also use the brine from pickled jalapenos.

Blackened wings on the Weber gasser with grill grates turned to flat side

Comment

Feel like I gotta go traditional on Buffalo Wing Day and that means deep fried. And that, well...too much damn work! Will head to our favorite wing joint in Sandy Springs, GA. Here's a pic there from Father's Day (another wing day, in my book!).
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Back in "the day" as in the 1980's my favorite wing joint was the Three Dollar Cafe on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. I see on the web they now have more locations, but that original had the best wings EVER.

• Oozzy
        Oozzy commented
        Editing a comment
        Need to know the name of this wing place. Will have to stop by the next time I am in GA visiting my mom and I head down for a Braves game.

• gabulldog
        gabulldog commented
        Editing a comment
        Clay's Sports Cafe, been around for years. I'm only a couple miles from the new Braves stadium too, gimme a shout!

I am going to thaw out some wings from the deep freeze, and will salt/spice them with Bad Byron's Butt Rub overnight, and grill on Grillgrates over direct charcoal heat around 350 on the Performer, and brush with my own home made Buffalo wing sauce for the finish. Too much work to deep fry wing sections 12 at a time...

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        get a bigger fryer!

jfmorris That’s why you need one of these. Click image for larger version

Name:	2493C951-201C-4A71-B0D9-FD7718ACE8C6.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	538807

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha. Yeah, I've got a deep fryer a little smaller than that, but just don't want to hassle with all the cleanup and oil. When I fry them I do a first par fry of all the wings, then raise the temp and do the final fry and toss in sauce, so it takes a while for a lot of people.

I guess I gotta jump in. 26” Kettle Vortex Wings, i will figure out the seasoning later. The Pickle / Jalapeño Brine sounds interesting.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I figure it is worth trying, once.
        Pirate Scott

• MWOE2007
        MWOE2007 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I gotta try it. Pickle juice kinda makes me ill but I’ll try it. My wife is sure to like them as she loves pickle juice.

Wings will be for tonight - using a sauce I picked up, Kosmos Peach Habanero sauce. Will salt and pepper, the sauce and cook. Not sure if I’ll use kettle or not. Looks like weather is rolling in so may have to go with the gasser.

Also cooking up a few chicken sausages I picked ip with this order from Crowd Cow.

Should be good!

edit - and it was!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by barelfly; July 27, 2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        You can still make more on Sunday.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I could. But brisket is in the plans for this weekend!

Spinaker alsonthe picked veg/gardenaire or however you spell it. I did care too much for the sweet pickle juice but it was good.

Count me in for Sunday!!

Comment

Yes
        Weber or Kamado cherry wood
        Undecided right now

Comment

Locked and loaded! Oak Ridge BBQ Smokey Lime Rub. IO am going to smoke them, then I will deep fry to crisp them up!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	539301

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            You gonna let them rest overnight in the fridge?

Hmm. Maybe. I made wings for a camp cook last Saturday. I'm sure my wife would not complain, but this was not in my mind when I started this weekend. I'll have to think about it.

Comment

I think I’m gonna go for some pickle juice brined wings on the kettle with sns. Would you guys brine 24 hours, or just a few hours?

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              usually 2 hours is plenty.

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

My wing poundage is up to 20 pounds. 2 pounds Asian, 4 pounds Lemon Pepper, 4 pounds Plain, 4 pounds Memphis Dust, 6 pounds hot wings.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Jesus man. How many people are you cooking for?
              I’m at 16lbs. But that’s just for myself. The wife don’t eat wings. And I’m just gonna chili out tomorrow.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B Appetizer meal at the church Sunday night. I'm also trying to max out the two middle shelves on my pellet pooper. To see what they can take.

homemade blacking seasoning, going in the fridge overnight will grill tomorrow
            Attached Files

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m liking where this is going.
              Those wings should be spectacular.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here