Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck a Mess Of Ways And On The Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck a Mess Of Ways And On The Cheap

I bought two frozen Pekin ducks at an Asian market the other day. The total cost was $31 for nearly 11 pounds of duck. Today, I cut off the four breasts (skin on) and refroze them, saved the leg quarters to make duck rillettes tomorrow, made three quarts of duck stock and rendered two and a half cups of duck fat. The breasts will likely be pan seared and served medium rare, but one could certainly use them to make a gumbo--or maybe even duck pastrami. The thighs could easily be turned into confit or used for a gumbo, too. And then there's the stock for a gumbo or a soup. My regular megamarts charge almost twice as much for duck as does the Asian market, so this is a sweet, inexpensive way to go.

If'n you're a fan of duck, I highly recommend visiting an Asian market and picking a couple or three ducks.

Edited to add: Don't forget the skin can be turned into cracklins. Not my cup of tea, but I know they're popular.
    Last edited by Willy; July 25, 2018, 05:00 PM.

That sounds just ducky.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Groan..

Love duck, look forward to seeing you’re results. The rendered duck fat alone is worth the price of admission !!!

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Results are described above. Alas--no photos.

Nice find. I really enjoy Peking duck but have never cooked one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here