Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet Chicken Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet Chicken Wings

Hi all,

I was in for a quick grill yesterday, and I figured 'wangs' was the way to go. I made a custom rub for these, consisting of:

1 tbsp mustard powder (Coleman's)
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
    1 tbsp salt

Plus a sticky bbq sauce for glazing, see below.

'Wangs' with rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	chickenwings_rub.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	537694

M.O.
    I had 13 wings in the bag I bought, so I rubbed them on all sides and left them in the fridge while firing up the Big Green Egg.
    I ran it at 330-340° F to get crispy skin. It took a little over 10 minutes for them to reach 150° F. I opened the lid and applied my sticky barbecue sauce. The rub is quite different from that Jamaican recipe, mustard being the predominant flavor.

Some high heat action

Click image for larger version  Name:	chickenwings_grill.jpg Views:	1 Size:	342.2 KB ID:	537695

After brushing the wings I closed the lid again and opened all vents to get the grill real hot. I just let it rip for 5-10 minutes to caramelize the sauce. I also checked wing temp with my Thermapen to make sure they were safe.

They turned out real juicy and sweet, so mission accomplished.

Final product

Click image for larger version  Name:	chickenwings.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	790.0 KB ID:	537696

I love it when I can do fast (20 minute) grill sessions like these. Variety is good!

Oh boy those look so good! They almost look like a fried wing with a glaze in that final photo - perfect color and texture.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, they hit home for sure! I'm a big fan of that glaze on wings. Finger food is always enjoyable :-)

Look perfect and perfectly tasty! Good job for sure!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

beautiful looking cook Henrik.
    Do I see another rub going on the market?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Yes, there's a pork rub coming out next week. I've shipped the beef rub to Amazon a week ago, so hopefully they will be available very soon. No poultry rub though, but may have to rethink :-)

Awesome Henrik! I love the high heat glaze at the end. It is must, IMHO.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Spin!

Very nice!

Comment

Sterling job yet again. Coleman's Hot English Mustard? want to try rub on wings coming weekend.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Nope, this is the 'standard' yellow tin can. I bet the Hot English would work very well.

Hey thanks for the recipe!

i made them yesterday, followed your recipe except at the very end I threw them over roaring direct heat for about 2 mins - tasty but I just couldn’t get the skin crispy - any advice?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m glad to hear you tried it! Depending on what grill you use, cook at higher temps in the first phase (with rub only).

So maybe 425 over indirect with a finish over direct? I’m on an 18” kamado

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here