Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No such thing as beer can chicken!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No such thing as beer can chicken!?

I just bought a ceramic chimney to stand a chicken on for my kamado. I was using it to hold beer and spices etc...the book leads me to believe this does nothing?! Can anyone suggest what to put in the chimney?

Personally I put exactly that. Nothing. But more than ever over the last few years I would much rather spatch a chicken. Much better overall even cooking.

Comment

lonnie mac nailed it.

Comment

I was or am in that club also, unless I’m rotoing. Ol’ Jon Solberg sold me on the idea & I have not looked back. So now, spatchcock is #2 for me.

Comment

You want hot air getting into the inside of your bird to cook it properly, not beer steam. Hot air, browned meat (Maillard) and smoke do far more than beer steam ever will. Beer can chickens taste good because it's still a grilled/smoked chicken, and that's why so many swear by them, but there are proven better ways to cook your bird, and the beer belongs in your hand!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            lonnie mac I like Anchor Steam Beer now that you mention it....

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually /technically the beer belongs in your belly.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahumadora Touche!

The origin of beer can chicken was likely a bunch of Cajun's that saw a hole that would fit a beer can, and then shoved a beer can in the hole. Not unlike us Cajun's really... But I think it was all fluff, (If ya followed that thread!) It looked very cool, felt totally natural, spawned a whole industry, and in the end wasted a good beer.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, there was probably a lot of back slappin & more beer drinking when they thought of it.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said. If you do just a little observation, first of all you don’t have any steam hitting all but the hole at the top of the chicken and very little at that. In short a waste of time and good brew.

I have a couple of holders designed to hold a can in a chicken. Also works fine to hold a chicken upright with no can in the butt. Then again, it isn't all that hard to sit a chicken on it's butt without the holder. I do that, also do the spatchcock. That being said, the best chicken I ever ate, other than the fried chicken my grandma made by browning it with a stick of butter, and then letting it steam in the skillet while we went to church, was grilled by the firemen in the first small town I remember living in. They grilled it over a long pit in the park and basted the chicken with beer. That was close to 60 years ago, so details like whether the fuel was charcoal or wood, I have no idea. Maybe it was the smoke, maybe it was the beer. But that is why I was willing to give the beer can chicken a try. But I get as good a result without the can up the butt.

Comment

I used to do beer can chicken, and on my offset I can fit more chickens standing up like that than spatchcocked. I don’t put a beer can in anymore, but do sometimes stand the chickens up like that, using the legs as part of a tripod to stand them...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here