Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey in July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey in July?

OK so what's wrong with cooking the other other white meat outside of the Holidays? Actually this saga started right before Christmas last year, the SWMBO got a free turkey voucher as a present and proceeds to march down to the grocery store and picks out a nearly 30# bird !!! I mean this velociraptor scared the dog it was so huge. So I says to the wife, "and what exactly am I supposed to do with that?" Wrong question, dirty looks, and a few sarcastic comments later I chuck it into the freezer.

It's now nearly eight months later and I need to get this beast out of the way of some important things, like more beef !! I slowly thaw it in my beer fridg for a few days then spatchcocked this big moutha. Took a pair of garden shears to get the job done for crying out loud !! Wet brined it with a cup each of salt, brown sugar, 3 lemons halved, 2 oranges halved, some pickling spice and a bouquet garni of fresh herbs for 24 hours.

Cook day I chopped up a bunch of those same fresh herbs and made a paste using grape seed oil and got out the Oak Ridge Secret Weapon for seasoning....

Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey 01.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	535907

....before seasoning I melted 2 sticks of butter along with some EVOO into a pan and let cool down. I injected it all into the breasts and the upper thigh portions. Took the paste and applied it liberally both top and bottom followed by the Oak Ridge seasoning....all dressed up and ready to go ......

Name:	turkey 02.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	535908

Name:	turkey 03.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	535909

....cooked it on my pellet cooker around 330* steady temp to an internal of 165-170* in those big breasts and around 175* in the deep part of the thighs. Used Lumberjack Fruitwood Blend pellets (whatever that is) as the fuel. She came out really nice, took almost 3 hours .....

Name:	turkey 04.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	535910

Name:	turkey 05.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	535911

Nearly took a cherry picker to get it into the house. Let it rest for about 30 minutes or so then divided into two half bird portions. First half went to some dear friends who helped us out with some dog sitting. The second half, well, seems no one was particularly interested in a big turkey feast in July so the rest is pretty much going to be left overs and late night munchies !!!

Got hungry last night and needed a sammie so carved off some of that football sized breast. Stuff was really quite tender and juicy. Almost forgot how good smoked turkey really is ......

Name:	turkey 06.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	535912

Name:	turkey 07.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	535913

Name:	turkey 08.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	535914

Gobble gobble, anyone want some turkey? Troutman Steve already tired of it and outta here !!!

Anytime is turkey time! Looks great!

Comment

That thing is a BEAST!

Comment

I love turkey .... any time of the year. I usually cook a couple turkeys every summer .... and I do turkey breast fairly often and turn it into sandwich meat.

that’s a damn fine looking bird and cook!

Comment

Big Bird! Turkey tetrazzini is coming to mind. And it can be frozen afterwards.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            We make that just about every time we do a Big Bird.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Us too. Shrooms, turkey, noodles, white wine sauce, cream, parmesan. Hard to beat!

Beautiful turkey! I love turkey any time of the year.

Comment

Turkey in July? Ham in July? Why NOT! Great lookin cook!

Comment

Eat that thing so the dog can come out of hiding!!!!

Comment

Nice job on that beast! I do turkey breasts all year long. As a matter of fact I'm doing about 12lbs next weekend for a family get together. Grape seed oil is a good call. I use it all the time on the flat top due to it's high smoke point.

Comment

I do turkeys every so often just so I can make turkey enchiladas with the leftovers!

Comment

So what if it's July? I'm smoking 2 turkey breasts in the PBC along with a dozen sausages as we speak. Already made the trimmings: stuffing (the meaty kind with regular bread and cornbread combined with pulled chicken thighs, sage sausage, onions, celery, spices, butter, and homemade smoked chicken broth), cranberry sauce, fried apples, mashed potatoes, bacony green beans. Sliced an heirloom tomato out of someone's garden (local farm market) just for a bit of color and because it's summer and because I can.

Turkey breast on the PBC rocks unless you're a leg/thigh person. In which case go whole hog, er, whole turkey.

Beauty of a cook, Troutman . Enjoy those sammies. Yummy yum yum.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nyum Nyum Nyum!

Pretty sure someone slipped your wife an emu.

Comment

You know, any day is a good day for a Thanksgiving feast. I think we all have plenty to be thankful for.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments gang !!! I'm just one of those guys who really doesn't much like turkey. The dark meat is pretty good, but once a year at the holidays is about enough for me. Never-the-less, the business of smoking turkeys can be quite lucrative

Comment

For me...this is a bit like "taco Tuesday." What a terrible thing to teach our kids! LOL
                          Good food should be enjoyed whenever, regardless of day or time of year. If it's in season (and meat always is) it's the right time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here