Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken wing test run before Sunday 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken wing test run before Sunday 29

Learnt here that next Sunday is national chicken week and I had 10 Kg in the freezer and the time to smoke while cleaning the wagon. So a no brainer test run was sanctioned and 4 pound bag went with me for the job. The wings had somewhat defrosted by the time I was ready to tackle them and used a shop bought BBQ rub that I’ve taken a liking to. The wings took about 10 minutes longer to cook than when completely defrosted but the cooker after placing the wings took a lot longer to get to target temp. Used Weber cherry wood chips for the second time (both times with chicken) and I’m not that convinced I like it, it’s a little mild for my palate ever since using mesquite. Must mention this past week I smoked chicken that came packed with the neck, liver, heart etc. I smoked and ate them for the first time and overall thoughts, not what I expected. Would I again? maybe. Anyways the wings were excellent even with the rub going on just before the cook. Those that made it home, the wife and I shared after a quick stint under the oven grill with a slather of KC style BBQ sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_122329.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	535831Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_131156.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	535832Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_140321.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	535833 The wings in the dish made it home and here are the hearts and things I ate during the week

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_152010 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	535834

​​​​​​​

Wow, that's some chicken. Well all this talk of wings makes me think of cooking some up tomorrow. I think I'll take your advise and giver a test run. Thanks for that. 😀

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Smart idea. I'm contemplating the need to do same again.

Looks like you got the jump on everybody holehogg those look delish! Wish I could participate on Wing day but i will be out of town for the weekend doing a private party cook. Ham and turkey breasts are on the menu. Maybe I will get home soon enough to do some wings on Sunday but normally I'm in total laid back mode after a cooking event on the road.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      You were the instigator to my mission with the post you started. Enjoy the PP cook and i'll chomp one just for you next Sunday.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoke a little something up before you leave and have it ready to go when you get home.. just a thought, I'm sure you know how to feed yourself. I'm generally not in the mood to cook when I get home. I feel you there.

Love wings.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Me three. I don't mind if a chicken has to walk.

Lookin good. I still like to fry mine. Deep fry the wings for 15 minutes at 355 degrees. Mix Zatarans (trust me and try this sauce as a buffalo) a little butter and some fresh cracked pepper in a sauce pot, and mix well. Wings come from fryer straight into bowl, add sauce, toss. Devour. I do make them on the grill when I am somewhere there is not a deep fryer available. Dry brine in the open to pull a little moisture outta the skin. Ill smoke them first, then go hot and fast. Have to go by looks as there is no way to temp. I wait till there is a char on skin, and then pull and sauce

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I have smoked then deep fried bone in chicken pieces and they turned out great.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Have done the same. holehogg

I'm looking at about 14 pounds next Sunday- 2 Asian, 4 Hot, 2 Lemon Pepper, 2 plain, 4 Memphis Dust

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Still to try MMD on chicken. Nice variety of flavours.
      Without tap water I hope.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here