Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improvise, adapt, overcome (Chicken in the woods)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvise, adapt, overcome (Chicken in the woods)

Anybody else remember the Clint Eastwood movie from 1986?

So, I'm visiting some relatives way out in the woods, just by a lake. There's no electricity, no running water, no Internet. Except for my 3G phone connection. So we go down to the lake and bring water back up. And washing up is done in the lake too. I'm glad it's summer

But I did manage to find an old rusty grill. Still good though. I also found two bricks so I could create an L shaped snake. Done deal, time to smoke some chicken! I did the Jamaican Sticky Chicken, but thighs this time, to get more meat. Turned out alright! I did have the Fireboard and BBQ Dragon with me (never leave home without them... ), so a little tech in the outback helped. Dinner was real good. It's fun what you can do with a little knowledge and just a few tools.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1941.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	532575

The chicken thighs, getting ready for glaze

Name:	IMG_1942.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	532574

Chicken, glazed up, soon time to eat

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	532576

Awesome! I love to improvise when the challenge arises. Most people don't realize that with a few tricks you can make great food just about anywhere. I still need to try this recipe, it sounds incredible, I might need to add some heat back into it though, I love to feel that burn! Great looking cook Henrik! Have fun out there.

P.S Nothing is better than a bath in the lake, especially a cold one in the morning! Although I do have the "natural" insulation to deal with the water temp!

Comment

Nice! I do like the dual stick shifters on that grill!

Comment

here I thought you were cooking Chicken of the Woods. But that chicken loots MIGHTY tasty on the grill!

Name:	hen of the woods.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	532635
        Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That was _exactly_ what I thought about when I read the thread title.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Whaddayaknow? I learn something new from this forum every day!

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too ha!! We get a lot of the "hen of the woods" around here. Look similar but a light brown.

Nice find. I don’t have a dragon 😳

Comment

This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy, and it makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it.

Comment

Hen of the woods!

Name:	ed_shrooms.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	532740

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Fungus

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              it looks AMAZING! I just had some tree work done. I'm composting the oak chips and I am going to inoculate them with Morel and Portabella so I can raise them. over time, I'll branch out to more varieties.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              We've used plugs to raise shitakes and oysters. Pretty amazing!

So interestin, how life has led us all down different paths...
            My first thoughts were along th lines of:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gunny Highway AK47.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.8 KB ID:	532774
            CaptainMike

So glad that don't haveta be th norm, fer most of yall!

That's some beautimous lookin yardbird, Brother Henrik !
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 15, 2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Gunny Highway

Way to cook Henrik!

Comment

Nice cook! Remind me of last month when we rented a private cabin; or cottage to some of you. I confirmed the grill was a standard Weber kettle and had a chimney charcoal starter available. In reality it was barely a grill. Two of the three bottom vent covers were missing. I am doing reverse seared ribeye, chicken, ribs and burgers. I had the divider from my Kamado Joe but the vent control was an issue. I solved the problem by drinking two beers. I flattened the cans and put them over the vents with no control. I put landscape rock in to hold the cans and support the divider. Just shows, beer can solve problems! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180619_083458849_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.64 MB ID:	533104
              Last edited by SMO; July 15, 2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome McGyver cook! Way better than mine.
                And yes, beer puts food on the table, and soon it will bring world peace ;-)

​

Comment

Scored this little grill from the cabin next to us. They were moving and were throwing it away. Sure helped me the sides. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180619_172322337_TOP.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	533121

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here