Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Rubs / marinade suggestions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Rubs / marinade suggestions please!

So next weekend I’m going to be doing my second big cook for around 40/50 people! I’m going to be smoking up a lot of pulled pork (I’m English and my smoker blows my guests minds!) then the plan is to accompany them with hotdogs and chicken drumsticks/thighs and side dishes etc.

If I’m not using a commercial rub my current go to for chicken is to marinade for a few hours in the following;

olive oil
    red red wine vinegar
    lemon juice
    garlic
    oregano
    salt/pepper

which give a nice Greek style flavour. However, I want to serve up a few different types of flavours so has anyone else got any go tos? I need to go fairly low hassle for preparing en mass and will be grilling on high heat on my Weber gas with a lot of turning so can’t try some of Meatheads recipes on this occasion (although I think i’ll Give the Simon Garfunkel rub a try!)

thanks as always!

I love Weber kickin’ chicken
    Last edited by Mudbeaver; July 10, 2018, 04:29 PM. Reason: not McCormick

Comment

I'd recommend looking at Old Bay Seasoning. Ditto on Weber kickin' chicken.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Bay is Delicious on chicken!

Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub, you can get almost anywhere, Amazon too.

Comment

Oak Ridge BBQ has several award winning chicken, pork and beef rubs I love all their stuff. I don't make my own anymore since I hooked up with them and cooking for crowds so often I appreciated finding a good rub I could purchase in bulk of this quality and freshness.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Oak Ridge, been using Secret Weapon lately and lovin’ it !!!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          ???What th Hail do folks from Muhzurrah know bout BBQ, anyhow?
          (They're ~6-7 miles from where I growed up...)
          I love theirs, too!!!
          Frozen Smoke Troutman

Any kind of Cajun too, dinosaur foreplay I think

Comment

I ‘m a HUGE fan of Simon & Garfunkel. Peeps love it also.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the only meathead rub I've tried so far that I did not like.

For something different look at Vivian Howard’s blueberry bbq sauce recipe. http://biggreenegg.com/wp-content/up...ry-Chicken.pdf It is really good and unique.

Comment

MMD, make up a big batch and use on some of your pork.

Comment

Simple but so good

Weston Mills volunteer fire department chicken marinade

1 cup vegetable oil
              1/2 cup white vinegar
              2 tsp. poultry seasoning
              2 tsp. salt
              2 tsp. pepper
              1 egg

Blend together

Marinate chicken over night

Comment

Even regular Mrs Dash makes fer some mighty fine yardbird. So does lemon pepper. Others have already listed many of my go-to's, above!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My wife uses Mrs Dash and lemon pepper on chicken as well.

I use Tony Chachere's on pork, ribs, beef and chicken. Just enough kick to blend nicely with the smoke. I've tried several rubs, and keep coming back to Tony's.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love Tony C’s as well, especially on seafood!!

• Scout789
                  Scout789 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forgot seafood, Troutman! Olive oil on fillets, sprinkled with Tony's and grilled over hot coals are the bomb!

Thanks for all the suggestions, seems like ordering tubs is the way forward! I’ve already made a big tub of MMD for the pork butts so going to scope out the above suggestions on amazon for the chicken! Btw just to confirm, the Weber kickin chixken os the rub recipe on the website? It can’t be bought ready made and I haven’t seen it?

thanks

Comment

Malcolm Reed's Cajun Rub! From his Cajun Turkey recipe/process:

Smoked Turkey Recipe with cajun brine, injection and seasonings. Slow Smoked Turkey makes a perfect Thanksgiving Recipe.

I adapted it to be no salt so I can dry-brine the chickens for a few hours, then rub (under skin and on top) with this:
                  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
                  • 2 Tablespoons Paprika
                  • 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano Leaves
                  • 1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme Leaves
                  • 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
                  • 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley Leaves
                  • ½ Tablespoon Course Ground Black Pepper
                  • ½ tsp Cayenne
                  • ¼ tsp White Pepper

Comment

Home made Italian dressing recipe marinade
                    From the Neely's

2 tablespoons ground mustard
                    2 garlic cloves, smashed
                    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
                    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
                    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
                    1 tablespoon sugar
                    2 tablespoons your favorite barbecue seasoning, I like Oakridge BBQ’s Secret Weapon
                    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
                    1 cup canola oil
                    Salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, except the oil and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here