Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greek Meatballs (Keftedes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Meatballs (Keftedes)

I do love me some chicken. Here you go.

Feel free to cut this in half, I do it. I sometimes set the crust at a higher temp and finish them in the oven on a rack with a probe. Remember that the last ones you cook will finish faster than the first ones so work efficiently and finish in two batches.

Number of Portions: About 90
    Portion Size: 1 oz Meatball

Ingredients
    Onion Brunoise 450g
    Garlic paste 60g
    Olive oil 110g
    Chicken thighs-Ground 2200g (2.2 kilo)
    Feta Cheese-crumbled, small 450g
    Eggs Large 5 each
    Bread crumbs-plain 115g
    Dill-Fresh chopped 5g
    Mint-Dry 6g
    Salt (and as needed) 20g
    Pepper-Black (and as needed) 8g
    Method:
    Sauté onion in oil until golden brown, add garlic and briefly sauté and then
    chill mixture. Whisk salt, pepper, mint and dill into the eggs, set aside. Mix chicken, onion, garlic and Feta. Add the eggs slowly incorporating into the mix, add bread crumbs. Be sure to work quickly and not over mix the chicken

Cook a small sample, taste and adjust seasoning and herbs if necessary. Form into 1 oz balls with a scoop and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan, refrigerate for at least one hour. Bread with seasoned standard breading procedure (flour, egg-wash and bread crumbs) then chill. Fry meatballs in 325-degree oil until the center reaches 165°. *** Make sure meatballs are cooked through
    and do not overcook, you may need to adjust frying temperature if the breading
    is too dark and the middle not cooked through.

This meatball should be uniform in shape. It should be a deep golden brown in color with a definite crispy exterior and a moist, juicy flavorful interior. It should taste of chicken, feta and herbs while being well seasoned.

Feel free to use beef and adjust your oil temp as needed. Fresh toasted ground coriander is nice with the beef.

Serve with Tzatziki.

That sounds pretty tasty, HouseHomey . Thanks. Serving with Tzatziki and maybe some flatbread sounds delicious.

If I were going to add a sauce, what would you recommend? I've had them in a fav Greek restaurant with lemon sauce. For your recipe, would you go lemon or would you go red?

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Undoubtedly, for certain, absolutely, 1000%, whole heartedly LEMON 🍋 🍋 🍋 🍋 🍋!!!!!

Hmmm...I'm not sure I have an opinion there. 😀

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I asked because the feta in the meatball is a new twist for me. I'm eager to try this! Thanks HouseHomey.

Ever tried smoking them in lieu of frying HouseHomey?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey Are we talking deep-frying or just regular frying here?

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF if you have a deep fryer thats great! I do them in my cast iron.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Great. I know how to handle them in CI. Deep-frying is a bit more intimidating from an effort point of view.

Thanks for this recipe HouseHomey

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      You are very welcome. Adjust as your preference desires.

I forgot to mention when I do finish them in the oven I make a bigger size meatballs. Like 2-3 oz each.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here