Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerk chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerk chicken

any suggestions? There’s a lot of recipes out there, a lot seem like they’ll be to hot for the kiddos n wife, and to smoke em or put em on the kettle?

DWCowles has the recipe I use. I don't have it accessible to me right now.

Comment

Well, if your chicken is a jerk - cook it quick.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        My chickens make me money no grilling for them

Well, jerk chicken is sort of by definition HOT! Maybe try Peruvian?

Comment

Lots of good recipes out there. Just don’t make the mistake I did.

I practiced making jerk chicken many times but since scotch bonnets were hard to find, I used jalapeños. Once I had the recipe down I found scotch bonnets in a speciality store and commenced to serve the chicken to a lot of family and friends for a block party. Didn’t even dawn on me that I needed to reduce the quantity of peppers I had been using.
        There wasn’t a dry eye or drop of milk left in my house, or even the neighbors, once we started to eat.
        Last edited by Donw; June 27, 2018, 03:04 PM. Reason: Auto-correct

Comment

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinkin of using jalapeños to keep down the heat for the family, they don’t mind spicy, not fans of HOT

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          jalapeños actually make a nice jerk sauce. I don’t think you would disappointed.

This should be in the Recipes > Chicken channel, not General Discussion.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m not really internet savvy, how would I go about moving it?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries Mudbeaver, I moved it. Just try to find the best channel when making new posts to keep things organized Thanks!

Thank you

Comment

Done right, jerk chicken is one of the great barbecue traditions of the world, up there with Texas brisket and Chinese char siu It is Jamaica to the bone, aromatic and smoky, sweet but insistently hot All of its traditional ingredients grow in the island’s lush green interior: fresh ginger, thyme and scallions; Scotch bonnet peppers; and the sweet wood of the allspice tree, which burns to a fragrant smoke

Comment

• Mudbeaver
            Mudbeaver commented
            Editing a comment
            That recipe really caught my eye

Check out this recipe from our own Henrik. I made a version of it last week and the sticky glaze balances the heat very well. I substituted cayenne for the fresh peppers and added a few things I found in another recipe. But the glaze portion was really the best part!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...msticks-recipe
          Last edited by barelfly; June 27, 2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            I have looked over that recipe and I do not see anything in it that would generate any heat.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            lostclusters I combined two recipes, one from a book I was given. The other recipe was the source of the heat, which I didn’t really depict well in my comment.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Great to hear you like it! And if you want/need more heat, just add your preferred chili pepper to the rub.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here