Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex Cherry Bombed A Large Batch of Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God im gonna end up with more accessories for my kettle than my wife has...for anything!

Comment

Great Vortex shots!

Comment

Yeah buddy!!! That's some chickens. Love it. Count me in.
        I'd eat one or 6 of those!

Comment

Troutman , did you sear the chicken over the Vortex at the end of the cook?

I tried your method on my WSCGC with the med size Vortex. One hour cook with Fireboard probe on grate periphery (where the chicken was cooking) reading 350-380°F the whole time; vents wide open; KBB.

Legs came out great. Thigh skin was still flabby. Pulled at 180°-185°F. Juicy legs and thighs.

Turned the thighs after 30 min which was probably a no-no. Dave Parrish does not turn thighs in his SnS chicken video because he says the juices drip back into the skin when flipped.

Next time maybe I'll use Kingsford Professional instead of KBB. The WSCGC is a bigger beast than a 22" Performer and might need more juice, fuelwise. Just a guess.

I'm loving playing with the Vortex, though. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I assume you dry brine uncovered in the fridge overnight (perhaps even with a little baking powder), then make pockets between the meat and skin and rub in some veggie oil? Those temps should have been adequate.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            No sear necessary Kathryn, I cooked at temps around 425-475*. I think you’re right, the smaller kettle just gets hotter, at those temps everything crisps. And I did flip each piece at the 30 minute mark.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been using the foil to direct all air to the vortex and I can get into the 475 range on the 22 standard.
            Did a batch of wings tonight after a baking powder and salt dry brine and everyone assumed I fried them.

Great looking cook! I can't wait to get that grate!! Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	541996

Comment

The vortex is great for chicken, and I think it is even better in the smaller kettle. As long as you can fit enough chicken for your crew.

Comment

I used the foil-around-the-Vortex method too, Polarbear777 .

EdF , I did the dry brine with baking powder mixed with rub on the skin for 8 hours. I put straight rub on the muscle under the skin like I always do with chicken.

Troutman , thanks for your input. I didn't think I should have to sear the skin.

This second time around (yesterday evening) I changed up two things

1. Lighting method: Used half chimney of lit coals for a starter instead of Weber cubes.
              • First cook: KBB; Ave temp range: 350-380°F. Upper and lower vents wide open from start to finish. I figured that since it looked sort of like a chimney I'd light it like one and put a few Weber paraffin cubes underneath, stacking the coals so I had a bit of a line of sight to them and lit them. It took a long blast from my BBQ Dragon to finally get the coals going--30 minutes or more until I could load the chicken.
              • Second Cook: Kingsford Professional; Ave temp range: 400-480°F. Upper and lower vents wide open throughout the cook. Poured half a chimney of lit coals in the Vortex then topped it off with unlit coals. No need to use the BBQ Dragon. Was hot and ready to load with chicken within 15 minutes.

2. Used Kingsford Professional rather than KBB.

So I learned that making those two changes gave me the temp I wanted, crisper chicken skin without turning the chicken, and a 1 hour cook.

FWIW: here is the lighting method recommended in the Vortex instruction brochure:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vortex lighting info.JPG Views:	1 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	542668

Kathryn

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                To light my vortex I dump in a fully lit chimney.

Chimney seems to pull in more surrounding air than something in the kettle so seems to get going faster.

Good stuff man! That chicken looks wonderful! Perfect skin! I need to get a vortex!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here