Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex Cherry Bombed A Large Batch of Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex Cherry Bombed A Large Batch of Chicken

Had some folks lay over for the weekend on their way back to Austin and the wife wanted me to cook some chicken (her marinade) along with her cooking some Filipino dishes. She got a dozen leg quarters and about two dozen drums from the store and marinaded them over night in her Inosol marinade (soy, lemon juice, 7UP, lemon grass, salt and pepper). I took them out in the morning and put the pieces on two racks to dry in the fridg. Here is the first batch, the leg quarters. I hit them up with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon seasoning.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	chick 01.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	522535

....fired up my Vortex with a full load of KBB and let it get up to temp. Was reading in the high 490s on my grate probe when I put the chicken on, screaming hot. After about a half hour they were looking really good. The Vortex was doing a great job but consuming briquettes like mad so had to keep feeding the flame. Gave them a flip and cooked them for another half hour .......

Name:	chick 03.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	522537

...probed with my Thermopen at 175* so pulled them and let them rest while I wnet on to batch #2....

Name:	chick 05.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	522538

Name:	chick 04.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	522539

Batch number two were the drums. Same marinade and same seasoning, ready to go on the grill......

Name:	chick 02.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	522536

.....Vortex began to cool somewhat, probably down to about 425* for this cook. Also tried something I hadn't done before, I added a good size chuck of mesquite wood which did smolder for about 15 minutes and gave me some nice smoke for this batch. Flavor came through just right.....

Name:	chick 06.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	522540

....the results were the same, with the smaller pieces getting done in about 50 minutes total......

Name:	chick 07.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	522541

Name:	chick 08.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	522542

All in all I really like the way the Vortex does chicken. Golden brown, nice crispy bite through skin, tender and juicy inside. Can't ask for more than that. After years of cooking chicken 325-350*, getting it up over 400* (if you can) is really the way to go. As you can see above I had no significant burning and the result was outstanding. If you have a kettle you need to buy this little $30 accessory, it really works well for me.

TROUTMAN STEVE SIGNING OUT !!!!!

Yup that Vortex is a beast. Where did you get that grate? I like it.
    Nice looking chicken too.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the Weber Gourmet Grate, center section removed. Get it on Amazon for $35. I believe it's standard with the Performer but not sure. Love the fact that it's a heavier gauge grate as well.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it stainless?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      No I looked for a stainless one but couldn't find one. It's chrome plates steel.

Great job.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks !!

those look pretty amazing. i wish my wife liked legs...this cook looks fun!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Legs and thighs are what we like, just dark meat. No one likes breast meat in my clan.

That chicken looks so yummy. I'm just sorry that I'm reading this at lunchtime and can't fire up my WSCGC at the moment.

I enjoy every single one of your writeups, Troutman . This one is particularly fun to read because it involves waking the MCS beast once again.

Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your continued kind words Ms. Kathryn. It's a cheap accessory so the MCS itch doesn't need to be scratched too badly

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll barely feel it, I'm sure, Troutman.

You signed out in style! Bravo!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I'm a stylish kind of guy

Love your chicken posts! They were my motivation for getting a vortex for father’s day. This makes me that much more anxious to make it happen. Hope my chicken looks half this good!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You're going to love the results. The only issue I have is the mess, chicken grease everywhere even with a heavy foiled bottom. YUCK !!!

Very nice! Thanks!!!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hawk

That chicken looks so good! Beautiful color.

Comment

Those look FANTASTIC!!!! I have a vortex and I know what I'm grilling this weekend. Delicioso

Comment

Well ya know there Trout buddy, to clean the mess ya just have to get some Cackleberry Gunk Remover, available at a store near you.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea just got me some good ole Cackleberry on the ole dub ya dub ya inter web site and a great big scraper and some elbow high vinyl gloves. Fixing to git after it

Fabulous. I really needa get me one o' them Weber kettles.

Comment

Amazing good looking chicken. I gave my kettle to my son a few years back, so maybe will get this for him.

Comment

I don’t see my vortex getting that high but I haven’t used the foil. Are you getting extra airflow somehow?

Im sure I could modify a fan port but I might be accused of overkill and would probably get way too hot.

I do like 450+ better if I can get there with a simple solution.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              If I put the pit bull fan on it and use the foil... sounds like a test is in order.

Air blown charcoal in the dragon insanity chimney maxes out my IR thermo at 1500+. Anything Aluminum doesn’t like that and some stainless loses corrosion resistance. Some coated steel grates become just steel grates.

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman do you have a good walkthrough for setting up the foil properly? Never used a vortex and after seeing this thread i of course had to order one, lol.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Seam together two pieces of heavy duty foil, enough to cover the entire bottom of the kettle. Place the vortex onto the foil in the center of the grate. Take a sharp knife or box cutter and cut around the foil to expose the grate under the vortex. Simple as that.

As usual beautiful cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here