Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocked Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcocked Chicken

Hey folks,
    I am gonna smoke a spatchcocked chicken later this week. Looking for some advice on temp.
    What temp should I smoke this thing at?

As always, I very much appreciate your advice!

I always followed the recipe on the main site and never had any problems

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      But on using the target won't your smoke be diminished at higher temps?, Can offset that with a tube

I do mine at 375 degrees indirect. Breast side down for 45 minutes then flip for 15 minutes.

It has turned out perfect every time.

Comment

Yep, get the heat up as high as you can get it indirect. About an hour for spatchcocked is about right, but check to see you're getting about 160* in the breast and 175* in the thighs.

Comment

• Xandera_7
        Xandera_7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't do indirect on my Traeger 😩

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Pellet smokers HAVE an indirect heat source, unless of course you remove the deflector and grease plate.

• Xandera_7
        Xandera_7 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had never thought of it as indirect, but I suppose you're right.

With the higher temp you will have decreased smoke, at least the smoke you can see. You can add more with a tube. I do this on my gasser all the time, and it works great. But also, chicken will absorb the smoke differently than pork or beef, and you don't need as much.

Comment

Think of it in this way, you’re not smoking the chickie, you’re grillin it, albeit offset probably & adding smoke. I take mine to a hoped 350 - 375, about an hour. Use chips in a pouch or tube. You can make an aluniminum pouch that’ll work juss fine. I forget, do you have a Napolean?

Comment

• Xandera_7
          Xandera_7 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a Traeger

This is a turkey I did a couple months back. Click image for larger version

Name:	578D3308-72C6-415D-8CB1-01004E654251.jpeg
Views:	868
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	522556Click image for larger version

Name:	24594723-551E-43DF-8DFC-CFB4CEF44BD2.jpeg
Views:	891
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	522557

Comment

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          Branch nippers?! I’ve been cutting my turkey wrong this whole time....

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nippers or bolt cutters make the job much easier on turkeys. I actually do use bolt cutters. I have a set I keep clean and oiled in the kitchen drawer.

Looks real tasty

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I was just yankin your chain. I didn’t really spatchcock with the implement shown. 😎

• Xandera_7
          Xandera_7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha
          Didn't even notice that 😂😂😂😂

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang FireMan , here I was thinking that looked like a really good idea!

I usually smoke 2 half chickens but last Sunday I spatchcocked the bird. I really like it better. I cooked it on the PBC around 385. Put 3 large chunks of pecan and heavy dose of PBC all purpose rub. About 1 1/2 hours it was good eating. I think the spatchcocked chicken cooks slower absorbing more smoke.

Comment

I usually rub it with my favourite rub , I’ve been using a lot of Oakridge rubs lately and I like there secret weapon or comp on chicken, smoke it at around 375-385 till done. I’ll usually brush on some bbq sauce towards the end. If I want more smoke I’ll use my a-maze pellet smoker. I do more spachcock chicken then when it’s left whole.

Comment

When I do chicken on one of my pellet grills I will usually set it on smoke for any where from an hour to 2 hours to get some smoke on it then I crank it up to around 350 to finish it up.

Comment

I do mine at 325 till breast internal temp is 160. Click image for larger version

Name:	BDB21ABE-4EEA-4055-99FB-1BDDA72B460C.jpeg
Views:	906
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	522816

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty convincing pic, I'd say!

The last one I did was a few weeks ago. I hold the higher temps for the chickies. Want that crispy skin! This is one of Malcom's recipes, but as far as cook on chicken I always shoot for 350ish or so. Chicken will pick up plenty of smoke along the way, and it's easy to over smoke. Dry skin, (dry as possible) and higher temps will give you a moist and crispy bird.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	522824

Comment

You don’t want a lot of smoke. If ya do to much then it can turn it bitter. I use a smoke pouch on my gasser but only fill it about half full. About 30 mins of smoke on a gasser. With charcoal I only add about 2 to 3 chunks of wood. I use the gasser a lot cause it’s more of a set and forget and I split em in half so I can get 2 7 lbs birds in it that small space
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DA8DBDF9-DDD4-4BBE-AB77-D69D75E46C5E.jpeg
Views:	865
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	522899

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here