Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Breast

Just cooked a turkey breast on a Camp Chef pellet grill. I went High Smoke for an hour, and then went to 325 until the internal temp was 165.

Noticed a couple of things.

1. The turkey was a bit tough
    2. The turkey was dryer than I expected it would be. (I know turkey breast is normally very dry, I was hoping that this might work to keep more of the juices in.

I did not marinade it, I just put some Salt Lick chicken seasoning on them.

The flavor came out good, just a bit tough and dry.

What should I try next time. (the wifey really likes smoked turkey)

Turkey is SO GREAT!

How long did it take you, total?
    How long on the smoke before the temp in the thickest part got to 155?
    How big was the turkey lobe?
    Was it frozen when you put it on?

We love getting the surprises of happiness when people try the turkey.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Turkey Being Sliced.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	522375

Comment

• bten
      bten commented
      Editing a comment
      it was 3 hrs total. It was a 2 lb breast. It was fresh, not frozen, purchased earlier in the day.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      3 hours at 325 seems like a long time for a 2 pounder. If it was dry, then pull a little sooner next time.

Best recommendation is to just keep cooking them, learning from each iteration.

I would try dry brining, or wet brining if you have the time. Can also inject some mild liquid like low sodium chicken broth or some melted butter.

Comment

• bten
      bten commented
      Editing a comment
      will do next time, thanks

And pull that off no higher than 160 - personally, I might pull it at 155. Or smoke a bit, SV and sear. Since I like crisp skin that last approach probably wouldn't cut it for me.

Comment

• bten
      bten commented
      Editing a comment
      i did it skinless.

You overcooked it. Pull it at 150-155 next time. Also If you cooked it for 3 hrs, I also think your thermometer is off or your probe placement was off. That is an awfully long time for a small turkey breast.

Dry or wet brining next time will also give you more margin for error. I prefer dry brining myself. Wet brining makes meat moist but spongy.

Comment

Skinless, I'd cook it at 225 or 250, low and slow. Dry brined, and then rubbed with your rub with some oil. And I agree with the above: pull it at 160 tops. But at 225, it is much more forgiving, and it won't continue cooking like it might cooking at 325... my 2 cents!

Comment

Inject with Tony Chachere's injection and sprinkle a little salt on the surface 24-48 hours before the cook. Run 350 from the get go.

Comment

I wet brine nearly all the poultry I do. I never cook past 160 and usually pull before that and let the carry over cooking take it to 160 or so.

Comment

I've dry brine mine with just salt for several hours to overnight. Oh and remove the skin . then add fresh cracked pepper and cook about 275.
            when internal hits around 120-130 take off and foil wrap with a whole lot of butter!. back on the smoker till 155-160. always cook it with a drip pan filled with water. careful on the smoke , make sure its clean blue when you start and don't go to heavy , use apple, hickory or just a little oak, (would avoid mesquite, cherry but that's just me).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here