Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Wings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Wings!

Ive never smoked wings before, i bought 10 pounds. Please whats the play by play with them. Should i brine them? How long to i cook them and when does the sauce go on? Birds the word what cha guys got?

Define wings... are you talking true chicken wings or are you talking wing pieces like drumettes that you would get at Buffalo Wild Wings?

Comment

• Oski3686
      Oski3686 commented
      Editing a comment
      Like a 5 pound bag of drums and wings

I have had good success following Meatheads method, everyone that has eaten them has liked them.

Comment

• Oski3686
      Oski3686 commented
      Editing a comment
      Doesnt look like he uses the smoket, i wanna get some smoke

I've smoked a lot of wings and love them off the smoker.

I typically smoke them with just salt and pepper. Try for around 275 for 1-1.5 hours or so. Then I grill them over direct heat for 1-2 min per side to crisp up the skin and then sauce right off the grill.

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      I just followed your method yesterday on 10 lbs. of wings (Costco - split). The only difference was using a commercial rub (Desert Gold by Big Poppa Smokers. It’s the wife’s favourite. No dry brine as the rub has salt in it. Dinner guests loved them.

I like to rinse them and then place them on a wire rack, so they are elevated. Then I hit them with a salt/baking powder for the dry brine. I let them sit for at least 12-hours, uncovered in a cold fridge.

I smoke them HOT. At roughly 400 F. Once the wings are cooked and the skin is nice and crispy, I will toss them in sauce. However, most of the time, I am just going with a dry rub.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Frying is easy, Get a cast iron dutch oven or a wok. Post smoke deep fry is next level goodness. shify

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Padres ball park makes smoked turkey legs kinda the same way, tossing in an 'almost simmering' cauldron of sauce last. I never got the results I wanted with wings until I sprang for extra sauce, heated up a pot, and did that last.

[bonus round - first use of 'cauldron' in a post?]

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Baking powder > baking soda. There seems to be some confusion between the two here. I have had good results with baking powder.

There are a lot of ways to do wings. I recommend spraying with canola oil & hit them with your favorite chicken rub. Smoke them at 275 for around a 1.5 hours. Start checking the internal temp after 45 minutes & flip them over. They might be ready after around 1 hour & 15 mins.

Comment

I used Meathead's recipe. They turn out amazing every time. Simple, fast, easy and the best wings I've ever had.

Comment

Thanks guys love the input!!!

Comment

I don't understand the times everyone is coming up with. When I use the vortex to smoke them I run between 375 and 400 and there done within 40 minutes and crisp. In a hour and a half i can do a whole spatchcocked bird

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear you. My wings are done in around 45 minutes. I'm doing direct with Grillgrates, around 350.

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with customtrim jfmorris smoked 36 today for my first time ever and done perfect in just over the half hour at 350 and whole spatchcocks take me an hour or so.

I go fast as well. Vortex or slow-n-sear. Hitting about 375-400. I flip after 20 minutes and roll in sauce after another 20. A few minutes to set the sauce and they are done. I’m pretty happy with this.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	F3D12810-05A8-41B2-859A-3742CB246AAD.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	522350

The other approach is to go lower temp to get more smoke and you can crisp the skin over direct at the end (it will be too soft otherwise) , but I seem to sacrifice some rub and skin sticking on the direct side grill. Probably would work better suspended on a metal skewer Over the coals instead of a grate.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; June 25, 2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I don’t know why you are holding temps below 400* with a vortex. I let it get screaming hot, up to 500*. Gets my chicken picture perfect fairly quickly as well. More heat quicker meat !!

Also, I leave my center grate off so on a cook the other day I threw a chunk of wood into the caldron. I thought it would immediately burn up but was surprised that it smoked for about 15-20 minutes. Good alternative if going grateless above the vortex.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m not getting 500 ambient in the kettle out of the vortex even with everything wide open. Maybe I’m just not waiting long enough.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I installed a Weber bladder in my kettle and have my grate probe stuck into the kettle about 2" above the grate and I'm getting readings on my Smoke between 425-500* peak during my cooks. I'm about to do a post on a large chicken cook I did over the weekend, check it out.

I did some wings tonight and they are all gone now, my neighbours liked them, I followed Meatheads method, dry brined, then marinaded in Italian salad dressing then on to the egg. I used apple wood for flavour, I wanted to smoke at 325F but at the end of the cook, the temp had creeped up to about 380F when I removed them after about 90 minutes. This is what they looked liked. My wife thought they were a little over cooked but the skin was crunchy.

Attached Files

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              They look damn good to me. Nice job.

• customtrim
              customtrim commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you use a thermometer to check your internal temperature

No I did use a thermometer to check the temperature I figured 90 minutes was long enough and it was, I never thought of it actually. As I said they were a little over cooked but good. I usually do them on the pellet grill at a lower temperature but then I would have to clean it. The egg I just opened the dampers and it was up to 500F in no time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here