Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked stuffing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked stuffing?

I’ve been thinking about turkeys and stuffing. Most of the stuffing recipes I’ve used in the past require you to cover the stuffing with aluminum foil. I’m thinking of doing a turkey in my Smoke Vault 24. Has anyone tried to smoke a turkey spatchcocked with the stuffing underneath to catch the drippings in any smoker? To do that, you wouldn’t want to cover the stuffing though. If you don’t cover the stuffing, would it dry out or is it fine from the turkey drippings? Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    Last edited by snowswamp; June 23, 2018, 11:56 PM.

Ihave no idea, but I would really like to hear about the swamp you live in some time......don’t want to hijack though

Comment

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Snow swamp is a glacial term from a college text book. It’s an area on a glacier that is slushy, wet, and icy. You know, a snow swamp. It was the one thing I found that many emails and logins haven’t used.
      Last edited by snowswamp; June 23, 2018, 07:28 PM.

If ya watch time/temps, ain't no reason fer it to git dry...
    Ever had smoker cornbread?
    Hail, a smoker's jus an oven, what adds some extry smoke flavour(s) to yer food.
    Ya got this, amigo!
    Reckon some drippins'll jus make it better...if it starts to git soggy, well, jus move it over some.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 23, 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Haven't tried it, bit going to! You have piqued my interest!!
      WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        If you don't already do this, adding a diced cooked potato adds moisture. I use sweet potato, but either works.

• snowswamp
        snowswamp commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tip on the tater. I was smoking chicken today and thought of putting the stuffing under the turkey. When I do try it, I’ll let everyone know how it turned out and let us know if you get to it first. 🙂

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        You got it, snowswamp . And great thinking!

Here's the way I do it, but it's a whole turkey rather than spatchcocked for this method. And I tend to keep the smoke light, for reasons described in the link.

My wife has four imperatives for turkey: gravy that’s not smoky, stuffing in the bird for drippings, the turkey is “done”, including good skin, and no

Comment

I tried to smoke stuffing once while I smoked the turkey and the stuffing turned out inedible. There was way too much smoke flavoring in the stuffing.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Quite True! Anyth food with that much inherent moisture, an high degree of porosity is gonna soak up smoke, like a dish sponge!
          I jus smoke it fer a spell, then off it goes into Mr. Oven, fer th Finish!
          Experiment, mebbe ya'll find a balance that ya likeys!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why I like to put it inside the turkey. You get a touch of smokiness, but not so much as to be overpowering.

And you get the drippings!

Now I just make stuffin muffins and baste them with the drippings I catch from the turkey on the grill.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I likes this methodology, as well, amigo!
          Many thanks fer sharin with us!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That definitely works!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here