Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to check temp on chicken wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check temp on chicken wings

I've never done much chicken wing grilling. Some of the recipes I've looked at talk about cooking to a temp of 175-180. Is it possible to get a reliable temp reading on a chicken wing? Seems like not a lot of room for error with the bones and relatively small amount of meat. If you don't use a thermometer, how do you know if they're done?

I use my instant read Maverick on ever thing

Comment

Thermapen right in between the bones. Perfect, every time!

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep I use my thermapen if it is close, otherwise I just snag one straight off the parrilla to try it (chefs privilege).

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing wrong with that, brother! Ahumadora

Ya know that section of yer hand between yer finger & yer thumb, well put up to yer jaw vertically & ask yerself, "what does this feel like". When you’ve done that give me a call & we’ll discuss it, yes we will.

Comment

Feedback much appreciated!

Comment

put it in your mouth, take a bite, and let it slide down your throat hole.

Comment

Exactly tweeter, just look at them and you know they're done. Geeze what did you guys do before Thermopens and fancy thermometers?

Comment

I grill them on the top grate. 2 alum. cookie sheets on the main grill to catch grease so no flare up. Charbroil 4 burner. Med high. about 10 min. turn and another 10. Then I taste them. Top section of wing will take a few minutes longer. When most of fat is rendered out I remove the cookie sheets and crisp up the skin. I can fit 25 sections on my top grate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here