Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moist and Tender Chicken With a Crispy Skinned Exterior

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks tasty. Says it doesn't taste like fennel. Adds different flavor. I like different flavors!

Click image for larger version

Name:	fennelpollen.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	456169

Comment

I found this article on fennel pollen. The "shaken from the wings of an angel" and "tastes like pure summer joy" quotes sounded a bit much, but I'm game. Should be fun to try.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        My porcetta recipe recently posted called for fennel pollen. At $6-16/oz I opted to grind fennel seed instead. Stuff is expensive!!!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea, Troutman. I balked at the price as well. I may pick up half an ounce and compare the taste to ground toasted fennel seed.

K.

fzxdoc "tastes like pure summer joy" - That's so funny, I thought last night, as a couple inches of snow came down, "huh, this chicken reminds me of summer"

Mudkat you won't regret it.

Comment

I tried an interesting technique on a turkey and should work on a chicken as well. I watched several you tube videos on turkey preparation - saw one chef who said to pour boiling water over the turkey to render subcutaneous fat, to help crisp the skin. I tried this after spatchcocking and was amazed at the immediate results. I dry brined with kosher salt and S&G rub and baking powder, injected meat with margarine, refrigerated about 6 hours. Cooked on Weber kettle over KBB with apple wood at 325-340 about 2 hours to 160 in breast. Removed from heat and rested about 20 minutes before carving, but did not tent. Skin wasn't quite as crispy as I hoped, but chilly, damp weather conditions may have had an effect. Truth be told, I'm not a big skin fan anyway. The turkey itself was excellent.

Comment

When you dry brine the chicken how much salt do you use? I use 1/2 teaspoon per pound on beef brisket. Do you salt under the skin or over it?

Comment

I usually dry brine with the rub, mad mike , and I don't really measure. Most commercial rubs have so much salt in them that the dry brining step is included when using them.

I always rub the muscle under the skin with the rub, then smooth the skin back down and rub the skin only with a mixture of rub and baking powder--usually about a tablespoon of rub plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder mixed together. That helps dry the skin. Some folks here use baking soda in place of the baking powder in the mixture, but my family can taste something odd with baking soda and taste nothing with baking powder.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 24, 2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Last night did a roast chicken on my Kamado

5 pound chicken
              Wet brined with salt and stock
              herbal rub with small amount of sugar
              No water pan

Threw on indirect 325 on Kamado for 2 hours until 165 IT

Chicken was juicy and delicious but skin was fatty and soggy...

What did I do wrong?!

Thanks!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I would run the grill hotter next time.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree with Henrik . Kamados run moister than some other cookers, so you want a higher temp.

One of my tricks with the BGE is to bring the temp up to 450, put the bird on, then throttle it down to 350 for chicken, or 325 for turkey. Gets the job done. For prep, overnight dry brine in the open in the fridge, then oil between the skin and meat. Butter or oil on the outside. Avoid anything moist.
                Last edited by EdF; July 25, 2018, 12:55 PM.

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                If indirect experiment in the 375 degree range (see how your rig does between 350-400) and then if you need to finish it direct to crisp up the skim do so. But chicken is great cooked direct. W a Kamado it all depends on the distance away from the flame. You’ve got to play w it to find your sweet spot.

What’s everyone’s favorite way to cook a whole chicken? I have one dry brining in the fridge right now

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                message #52.2, a little above this one. I generally also put black pepper on it, and cook indirect. Additional herbs on the outside do not hurt.

So I’m planning on spatchcocking - it’s been dry brining all night uncovered and the skin is getting that nice translucent look... going to follow your suggestion EdF and start at 450 then ramp down - do you do this indirect or direct?

also when you say add oil under skin should I actually pull the skin away from the meat to apply it? Will the oil on the outside help "fry" the skin crisp?

also how far in advance do I oil the meat and skin and If it matter when do I apply my S&G rub?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Works both for whole poultry and spatchcocked - the latter is quicker. Make pockets between the skin and the meat by sticking your fingers in and separating a bit - don't completely separate. Now those temps were for a kamado. Depending on the kind of cooker you're using, you might go directly for the 350F. And yes, I use indirect with a pan on the barrier to catch drippings. Pull at 155 breast.

Sort of like that, though this wasn't on the kamado. It was crispy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170220_181704.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	540887

Comment

• Breaktheory
                Breaktheory commented
                Editing a comment
                This is for my kamado - I could set up for dual zone and reverse sear at the end on the direct side - or will I get the skin from pure indirect?
                Also, since 450 will melt my temp probe - what’s the typical cooking time for a 5 pound chicken spatchcocked

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                You'll get crisp without the direct. For a 5 pounder spatchcocked - somewhere between and hour and a half and two, probably more towards the former.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                The one in the pic was about 4 lbs, spatchcocked and done in the KBQ at 350F (which is indirect by nature) for two hours from lighting the charcoal in the chimney to pulling it. So cook time was around 1-1/2 hours, maybe less.

I just did this past weekend:

> What I used: Weber 22 Red Bomb - 'Lucille'
              > 2-Zone with one 13"x9" water pan on the lower grate 2/3 full, fully shielded radiated heat with a cookie sheet
              > Convective heat ~ 250F on the far-side rim to somewhat crisp the skin, but bite-through a little soft
              > Hickory Chunks on the upper grate

Secret Weapons:
              1. after wet brining for half a day - morning to mid-afternoon - in water and kosher salt, I dry and let counter sit ~ 30 mins.
              2. I inject the breasts and thighs with Zatarain's 'Cajun Injector' Creole Butter (you can see it bubble up where I IT-checked the bird
              3. I spray the bird with EVOO, top & bottom (spatchcocked)
              4. I liberally cover with Weber's Beer Can Chicken rub, and 'push' it in with the back of a tablespoon

The bird was done for an early dinner (so were the ribs!)

Start:

Name:	20180725_190927_resized.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	540896
              Finish:

Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	540897
              I put the ribs on when the chicken was @ ~ 140F, added ~ 6 coals and two more hickory chunks, and pulled everything 45 minutes later.

The dark meat was eaten while hot, I sliced the breasts thin and refrigerated for lunchmeat.

Comment

Favorite ways to roast a whole bird are to spatchock, dry brine, then either smoke roast on the Smoke Vault 24
                for about 2 hours @325F (no water pan), or cook under brick on the Weber gasser. The latter takes at most 30-45 minutes. Both come out very moist and with nicely crisp skin. I'm partial to the smoke roasting and my wife prefers "al mattone." So we alternate.

A recent bird smoke roasting:

Name:	IMG_20180716_185026.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	540918

A recent cook under brick:

Name:	IMG_20180518_183405.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	540919

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great. I've done the brick thing, and the results were good, but it never really stuck in my toolbox.

• theroc
                  theroc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's handy especially when you want to cook in a hurry, and still get a juicy bird.

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
                I just did this past weekend:

> What I used: Weber 22 Red Bomb - 'Lucille'
                > 2-Zone with one 13"x9" water pan on the lower grate 2/3 full, fully shielded radiated heat with a cookie sheet
                > Convective heat ~ 250F on the far-side rim to somewhat crisp the skin, but bite-through a little soft
                > Hickory Chunks on the upper grate

Secret Weapons:
                1. after wet brining for half a day - morning to mid-afternoon - in water and kosher salt, I dry and let counter sit ~ 30 mins.
                2. I inject the breasts and thighs with Zatarain's 'Cajun Injector' Creole Butter (you can see it bubble up where I IT-checked the bird
                3. I spray the bird with EVOO, top & bottom (spatchcocked)
                4. I liberally cover with Weber's Beer Can Chicken rub, and 'push' it in with the back of a tablespoon

The bird was done for an early dinner (so were the ribs!)

Start:

Name:	20180725_190927_resized.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	540896
                Finish:

Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	540897
                I put the ribs on when the chicken was @ ~ 140F, added ~ 6 coals and two more hickory chunks, and pulled everything 45 minutes later.

The dark meat was eaten while hot, I sliced the breasts thin and refrigerated for lunchmeat.
                Looks great - but 225 and still crispy skin? How long did you go for?

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  50/50 - bite through but not gummy - it would break where you bit, which is good enough when going for a long smoke - ~ 4 hours. I didn't bother to sear, which I could have on another cooker. The single basket 2-zone doesn't really give you a sear surface. I've got a char-griller patio pro specifically for that. I believe it's the dose of EVOO and high initial heat that does it.

Originally posted by Breaktheory View Post

Looks great - but 225 and still crispy skin? How long did you go for?
                sorry but what's EVOO?

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Extra virgin olive oil.

Thought I would share my experience...5 pound chicken dry brined w baking powder overnight in fridge - spread oil between skin and meat before throwing on at 450 indirect on kamado before immediately ramping down to a target of 375 - finished at 160 in breast in an hour and 20 mins - skin was nice and crispy...the rest of dinner wasn’t ready and I foiled it for an hour - destroyed my beautiful skin...never wrap skin on chicken - a cautionary tale

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here