Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pimento Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pimento Wood

I don't know where to post this so I'm putting it here: I just received my shipment of real Jamaican pimento wood chips. I'm going to have to pick up a package of chicken leg quarters soon and make some awesome jerk chicken.

Sounds good. Where did you order your chips from?

Comment

From here:

http://www.pimentowood.com/Pimento_W...ento_Wood.html I bought chips. I am thinking about buying sticks and leaves as well for more authentic jerk. There is a whole write-up on jerk at home on the Serious Eats website which says that putting the meat on a bed of the sticks on top of soaked leaves really makes a difference

Comment

Here's a link to the Serious Eats article:

Comment

What does pimento wood taste like, compared to more common species here? I've tried a lot of woods but not pimento yet...

Comment

It's the tree that allspice comes from. It had a hint of that aroma just sitting in the bag. If you've had any authentic jerk, the smell and taste is unmistakable. It's almost sweet.

Comment

I'd like to try the sticks, but at $40 for 4 sticks, I can't do that. They seem to be out of a lot of their product, even the 2lb bags of chips are on back order. I'd give those a shot on the Weber for doing chicken thighs.

I guess I'll wait for your review....

Comment

The sticks are not for burning. You lay the food directly on a grate made from the sticks. When heated, they release oils that add to the flavor profile. They are meant to be reused.

Comment

Had a jerk restaurant customer once upon a time who told me that 50/50 mix of hickory/cherry is spot on for pimento wood. I've never smoked with pimento, so I can't say I know for sure. But a 50/50 mix of hickory (or pecan) and cherry tastes mighty fine.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm banking on that Ms. Candy. I have 40lbs of that mix on the way from you right now. cant wait!

I just ordered some cherry from Amazon (using the AR Tiny URL). I also bought the Jack Daniels Oak Barrel chips which were actually cheaper, for the same volume, than the Western Cherry

Comment

I've used the pimento wood a few times. Definitely adds its own distinct flavor. I suspect that the main job of the sticks is to act as a heat shield that will allow juices to drip onto the coals, and have used rolled up aluminum foil to that effect. Definitely smells great!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Although I'm don't remember for sure, I think that in the Serious Eats Test Kitchen they used an indirect heat set up on a gas grill. On the indirect side they put a bed of soaked bay leaves (can be used instead of pimento leaves) and on top of that the soaked pimento sticks. They also did additional test cooks with other set ups - with and without various combinations of leaves and sticks and they felt that leaves and sticks had the best/most authentic taste. I didn't buy the sticks, but I might in the future.

DEW

I lived in Jamaica during the mid 80s as a hot air balloon pilot. I worked 2 hours per day, 4 days per week. Fun times! As part of the daily tour operation we would supply;y the tourists with a Jamaican breakfast in the morning and a whole jerk hog for lunch. Cookie would heat brick oven really hot with hard wood and then put the hog in with a bunch of pimento chunks, chips, sticks,, and twigs. The oven was closed and noting was not opened until it was done. In addition the sauce was made with the pimento fruit, allspice. I have found that I could come close to replicating the pimento wood flavor by using some moist allspice berries in my smoker.

Comment

I used allspice berries mixed with apple for my first go at jerk pork. The flavor was very good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here