Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First smoke with rehabbed webber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First smoke with rehabbed webber

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	495600
    I finally fired up my CL blue Webber. I know, it's about time! (I basically lost a year rehabbing from a car wreck.)

Views:	124
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	495597

Chicken leg quarters, rubbed with a recipe mix found at food network. Apple wood on briquettes in SnS. Cooked to internal temp of about 155F. The grill temp didn't get above 200F. Took a couple hours. Turned out pretty good for my first smoke!

Views:	133
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	495602

I did have to keep running out to monitor the temp. I couldn't find the receiver for my Maverick.

Views:	133
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	495599

Taking hints from here, I used binder clips to clamp the lid. I also had the lid holes over the SnS.

Important lesson for next time - drip pan! I ended up with a pot of broth in my ash catcher (fortunately it was my first cook so there was no ash in it).

Views:	162
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	495601
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Atalanta; May 6, 2018, 03:23 PM.

First, welcome back and so glad you are ok after the wreck.
    Secondly, that blue baby looks marvelous!

Comment

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I am still figuring out the heat management on this. I fiddled with the upper and lower vents and couldn’t get it much over 190F. I’m hoping a drip pan will help with the air management and mess nex time!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. I also use disposable pan for really drippy meat.

I don't see your temp probe for the cooking area in any of the pictures. This needs to be at least 2 to 3 inches away from the meat.
      With top and bottom vents full open you should be way above 200.
      I still go to the https://abcbarbecue.com for guidance in using my SnS.

Your legs looked to have come out nicely.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Good stuff HawkerXP !

Both a cooker and a cook get together after rehab. Can't get better than that! Great looking kettle and chicken!

Comment

That's a good lookin' cook. You said you had the top vents over the SnS? You might have better luck if the vent was opposite the SnS. That will draw the smoke over the meat instead of straight up and out.

Comment

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks RonB for the suggestions. I'll be doing a second cook soon and incorporate your suggestions. The SnS had nearly a full load of charcoal.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        For chicken, I use a full chimney of lit charcoal, and both vents are wide open. I'm shootin' for a minimum of 350* - 400 is better. You want hot and fast to crisp the skin, and high temps should be easily achievable using a kettle.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        And close the vents as soon as the cook is done to save charcoal. You can reuse it - it just burns a bit faster.

Great to see yer cook, amiga!
      Super-Kewl Blue weber, BTW!
      Delighted to hear yer on th mend, had no ideal ya were downed...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here