Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Chicken Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Chicken Help

I'm new to the whole grilling thing and have yet to do a whole chicken. I've got one that's about 8 lbs that I want to cook on the Weber Performer with my new Slow 'N Sear. Was thinking of doing the pulled chicken. My question is, cook it whole? Halved? In pieces? Any other tips or suggestions?

I'd go with spatchcock.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup many times over.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Likewise, around 325-350F. Dry brine uncovered in the fridge overnight, use your hands to separate but not remove the skin, rub some oil in there, then use whatever rub pleases you. Meathead's S&G is a good reference point.

Spatched or halved.

Comment

Spatchcocking is one good way, I do it all the time, but if you cook as pieces you have more control of the internal temperatures of the various pieces.

Comment

Mouth is watering just thinking how good it’s going to be. I dry brine it then I would use Simon and Garfunkel rub then spatchcock cook it at 300 deg to 165 internal

Comment

As the gents before me said ... spatchcocked or halved.

Comment

It will cook a bit faster if withe spatchcocked or cut in half. Don't forget to cook it hot - a minimum of 325*, and north of 350* works well for me.

Comment

If you are going to just pull it the half or quarter it. If you are pulling it to make BBQ I would definitely use MMD instead of Simon and Garfunkel rub.

pro tip: get you a dedicated set of garden shears to cut your poultry with instead of cheap kitchen shears. I did this for turkey last year and now just exclusively use them when chopping birds.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Heavy Metal! ;-)

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Small bolt cutters work great for spatchcocking turkeys. :-)

Of all my years of smoking and of all the tons of meat I have done chicken is something I rarely do. I need to change that. I certainly have never done a whole chicken but these threads always intrigue me to do so. I have done lots of turkey breasts with great results. It seems to me chicken would benefit from being placed vertically in the smoker. I'm not going to veer into the beer can chicken discussion but a device that holds them vertically without the beer can just seems to me that it would work. I've had this one in my amazon wish cart for sometime but just haven't moved it to the cart yet.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah those stands are great for that. Like you said just drink the beer instead of shoving it up the chicken’s @$$. I love smoking leg quarters.

since i started reading this site i do whole chickens pretty much exclusively spatched, 2 zone with a slow and seer aiming for about 325 on the cool side. Dry brine with salt for a few hours if you have time, dont need to bother getting the salt under the skin ive found. Then get your rub/seasoning of choice on there (under the the skin for this) before hitting the grill.

Literally the best chicken i have ever had.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree!

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, unless I roto one.

Hmmm... chicken.... Now you got me thinking chicken! Hope to see some pics!

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Of them not crossing the road. Cuz then they will be good only for road pizza.

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmm... Road pizza... now I gotta...

Going to go with spatchcock. Ended up with two 5.5 pounders. I've got both in the fridge now with the dry brine. Going to use the Memphis dust. Think I'm going to go with 325 as the temp. I'll try to post pics of the finished product.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Sounds good KtKins7 can't wait to see the pics

Comment

Chicken was a success. Nice and juicy. Skin was crispy. Each bird was about 5.5 lbs and took about 1 hr 45 min to 2 hours. Only real issue was controlling the grill temp. It was my first time using the S&S. I followed their directions and used about half a chimney worth of charcoals. I was aiming for 325 but the temp just didn't want to get there. I had the vents wide open and even tried cracking open the lid. I don't think the breeze helped either. Ended up adding more charcoal once my temp kept dropping and that did the trick. Guess it just takes a lot of trial and error when your new to charcoal grilling!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Two thumbs up for that chicken! Beautiful!

• Black99vette
                  Black99vette commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good job!

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't see much error there!

I've had the same problem getting that 325-350 range locked in with the SnS. More charcoal works & sometimes it's the weather messing with you, but I think my problem was/is letting the coals burn too long in the chimney & not giving the grill enough time to get up to temp. The last couple times I've done chicken with the SnS I've tried to let the chimney burn for no more that 12-15 minutes and then given it 10 minutes or so to heat up the SnS and everything. That seems to work for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here