Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried smoked turkey wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried smoked turkey wings?

I really like turkey wings at Thanksgiving. That dark meat on the bone is so-o juicy and flavorful. Today I was struck at how inexpensive they are in the supermarket. I picked up a couple pounds, and I wondered if anyone has tried smoking them. I know they need to cook to 165º and wondered if anyone had tried them and if they had any suggestions?

Yeah, Hank Shaw just did!
    BBQ Smoked Turkey Wings is the latest post on Hunter Angler Gardener Cook.

Comment

At some point in the cook, you're going to want 325-350 to crisp them up. That's what they get as part of the turkey cook. I suppose you could just do that temp all along the line. Get the smoke in there ahead of time, make sure they're cold-ish when you start?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Pre-salt and bone dry as well....like all poultry

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        What he said!

When I smoke a turkey I always tear the wings off first and they are always sooo good!

Comment

Smoked a bunch of drums and loved them. Smoked a bunch of chicken wings and love them too....why didn't I think of this? TRY IT, I'm really interested. I sometimes fry turkey wings and treat them like hot wings. Kids call them pterodactyl wings.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I'm cooking them on Monday and I'll let everyone know how they come out!!

Comment

I only wish normal sized turkey wings were more readily available. The ones my son and I rip off the Thanksgiving turkey are the best part of the meal! But when I went to buy a tray of frozen ones, they looked like they came from a condor. I got them anyway and they were tougher than shoe leather.

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              I have found this too. The bigger the bird the thicker and tougher the skin. We did a monster 30 lb Turkey recently and the wing skin was too tough to eat. The meat inside the wing, once the skin is removed is to die for though.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Around Thanksgiving, you can often see trays of wings available at regular old supermarkets. We use them to strengthen the stock for the gravy. Can't remember seeing them other times of the year, though.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here