Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garlic Parmesan Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garlic Parmesan Wings

I had decent success on the Big Green Egg with Garlic Parmesan wings for Easter Day appetizers. I used hickory wood chunks. The hickory left a very slight bitter taste, but I may have put the wings in the smoker a bit early. I used a butter sauce with crushed garlic. I had to bake the wings in the oven (with pan) the last 20 minutes, because the garlic butter sauce ran off the wings. Any suggestions on a an alternative to finishing off the wings without baking in a oven pan? It required a lot of extra cleanup.
    Attached Files

Love to have me some wings.

Comment

Those look good. I sometimes will smoke them until nearly done and then pan them and sauce and put back on the smoker to set up for 10 or 15 minutes. Foil pans are your friend for this. Just toss the pan afterwards. Or if your like my wife she will wash them once or twice before she lets me toss them.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
        Those look good. I sometimes will smoke them until nearly done and then pan them and sauce and put back on the smoker to set up for 10 or 15 minutes. Foil pans are your friend for this. Just toss the pan afterwards. Or if your like my wife she will wash them once or twice before she lets me toss them.
        Excellent suggestion on the foil pans. It was quite a bit of scrubbing and clean up. And the wings were a bit of a hit!

Comment

If you pick up a 14" stainless paella pan (from say, paellapans.com), you can put it on the plate setter below the grid. That'll catch the juices. Run the egg around 350, but starting from 450 with immediate vent throttling when you put the pieces on. When you're about done, you can toss the pieces into the pan to soak them up a bit, maybe at a higher heat again, or with out the plate setter.

Those stainless pans are ridiculously easy to clean, reports my wife, the official pan washer.

They're not cheap, but they're incredibly versatile. Most pics I post have the product sitting in one of them.

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            Don’t you find the drippings burn on the pan, generating unpleasant smoke? Perhaps you put water in the pan, which is my technique for eliminating grease smoke?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Really depends on how hot I'm running things. And I nearly always use a plate setter. And the bottom of the paella pan is a bit rounded, which probably helps. I haven't run into issues very often. Which leaves the "bit of liquid" option for more extreme conditions.

Originally posted by EdF View Post
          If you pick up a 14" stainless paella pan (from say, paellapans.com), you can put it on the plate setter below the grid. That'll catch the juices. Run the egg around 350, but starting from 450 with immediate vent throttling when you put the pieces on. When you're about done, you can toss the pieces into the pan to soak them up a bit, maybe at a higher heat again, or with out the plate setter.

Those stainless pans are ridiculously easy to clean, reports my wife, the official pan washer.

They're not cheap, but they're incredibly versatile. Most pics I post have the product sitting in one of them.
          Thanks. I'll look in to it.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a great accessory for the BGE. So great that we bought two of them. And to my wife's chagrin, we still haven't made paella outside.

Do you need to cook or finish the wings with the sauce on the smoker?

When I smoke wings, I smoke them naked and then dress when cooked. For these, I would smoke the wings naked and separately cook the garlic butter sauce in skillet and then toss with the wings right off the smoker and finish with the cheese. That way the wings get smokey and crispy (and you can finish on a grill for extra crispy skin if needed).

Comment

Originally posted by shify View Post
            Do you need to cook or finish the wings with the sauce on the smoker?

When I smoke wings, I smoke them naked and then dress when cooked. For these, I would smoke the wings naked and separately cook the garlic butter sauce in skillet and then toss with the wings right off the smoker and finish with the cheese. That way the wings get smokey and crispy (and you can finish on a grill for extra crispy skin if needed).
            I did the following:

1) cooked the wings in the smoker
            2) pulled them and tossed them in a bowl of garlic butter
            3) Then baked them in a pan in the oven for 20 minutes

Seemed to be a lot of extra work, and bigger cleanup.

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha. I don't see the need for the baking step. If it was to cook the garlic, I would just saute briefly in the butter before tossing with the wings

Oh man that's right in my wheel house....nice work Lenny !!!

Comment

Make sure the smoke is clean coming out of the exhaust. Hickory should give you great flavor on wings, as long as the fire is burning well. I like to place them all on a wire rack, easy in, easy out. And the smoke gets under the meat too. I like to smoke mine at about 350 F 375 F.

Comment

That's sounds great right now. Here is MHO

1 season your wings before cooking, always
                2. Do make a paste from your garlic.
                3. Sauté your garlic in butter and whatever else you like in there. You now have your butter sauce
                4. Use a "snowy" like fine grind from quality Parmigiana Reggiano or similar or Pecorino Romano
                5 grill/smoke as you would for desired texture of skin
                6. Quickly toss in (in a large SS bowl) hot garlic butter mix finish with cheese and serve or
                7 put back on hot grill then toss in butter mix again, finishwith cheese and serve.

when you toss you don't want it swimming in liquid, you only want enough to coat the exterior and to give the cheese something to stick too.

That should fix you up until you fond what works for your tastes, texture and finish etc... but I gotta say about the above pic, I'd eat that!

Man o man those garlic parm wings sound great!!

Comment

Love Garlic n Parmesan Wings! Those look great.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
                    That's sounds great right now. Here is MHO

1 season your wings before cooking, always
                    2. Do make a paste from your garlic.
                    3. Sauté your garlic in butter and whatever else you like in there. You now have your butter sauce
                    4. Use a "snowy" like fine grind from quality Parmigiana Reggiano or similar or Pecorino Romano
                    5 grill/smoke as you would for desired texture of skin
                    6. Quickly toss in (in a large SS bowl) hot garlic butter mix finish with cheese and serve or
                    7 put back on hot grill then toss in butter mix again, finishwith cheese and serve.

when you toss you don't want it swimming in liquid, you only want enough to coat the exterior and to give the cheese something to stick too.

That should fix you up until you fond what works for your tastes, texture and finish etc... but I gotta say about the above pic, I'd eat that!

Man o man those garlic parm wings sound great!!
                    Great and constructive advice. Thanks! They did taste great in my humble opinion, but they were a lot of work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here