Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoking turkey breasts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking turkey breasts!

should I fillet them? intend to inject, smoke and slice for consumption. hope to keep skin on and crispy, assume they would cook faster but not sure that's for the better. open to suggestion! just rubbed on some kosher salt to dry brine overnight.

I wouldn't fillet them, personally. I would just cook it hot, 325-350, and pull it at 150-155.

Comment

I didn't filet the ones I've done. I smoke the whole top of the breast plate, just wet brined and smoked. Cook to an IT of around 160-165*. For crispy skin crank the heat up to 350-375* at the end.

Comment

What they said.

Comment

I have now done them both ways now, fillet and in one piece. they both turned out great! Only caution is the leftovers due seem to dry out quite a bit, have been putting them in a plastic bag in refrigerator. wondering if aluminum foil going straight to freezer might retain the left over goodness better? ANYBODY GOT A SURE FIRE WAY TO RETAIN GOODNESS!

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            with piety

If you brine them you shouldn't need to inject also. Run the smoker hot - 350-400.

Comment

another ? about dry brining! When dry brining the turkey after salting, I just leave in a fridge uncovered. I'm dry brining, a rib roast right now. do I cover loosely, cover tightly or just leave it exposed to the air in the refrigerator?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't say I'm any kind of authority, but when I dry brine I leave the meat uncovered. There may be more or better advice over on the public side of the site.

thanks that is the way i am planning go! uncovered

Comment

kind of like a short period of dry aging. would that make sense?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here