Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacques Pepin steamed turkey & exposing poultry joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacques Pepin steamed turkey & exposing poultry joints

Came across a couple interesting techniques. I don't have a huge pot so am hoping someone here can elaborate before I spend more $$.

Pepin steams his turkey to drain all the fat & add moisture then finishes by roasting in the oven. No rubs or butter - just some liquids to crisp the skin. He later uses some of the fat to make stock & gravy. He says he learned of this method from the Chinese in the 1970's.

Also, he makes 4 cuts to chicken & turkey to get heat to the places that take the longest to cook (joints.) With chicken he says it reduces cooking time almost 50%.

In the video he uses a really wide pot but a large stockpot would work fine.

Here's the video, turkey cook starts at 29:05

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...roasted-turkey

Click image for larger version  Name:	steamed_turkey.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.5 KB ID:	471085
    Last edited by Larry Grover; March 23, 2018, 10:17 AM.

I'll tell you what, I've probably learned more about cooking from Jacques Pepin that he's forgotten !!! That man is a master....

Comment

Looks interesting. Will try it sometime. Jacque Pepin is a bit of a hero in our home! Especially when he slips the parsley into the dish he's cooking with Julia Child. ;-)

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve watched that entire series on satellite.... twice !!

I think I have a pot big enough to try this with chicken. He had a huge turkey in the video which called for a 45 min steam. The NY times recipe calls for 16-18 lbs @ 30 min so maybe a chicken would be 20 min?

I also like how he chops off the ends of the drumsticks so he can pull the tendons out after its done cooking.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Pulling the tendons trick was worth the price of the video, his techniques are pure genius , hes always pulling stuff like that out of his proverbial hat...

So I gave this a try with chicken. I used a 4.3 pound Mary's air-chilled chicken which has no retained water (water-chilled have up to 12% water added from processing.) Pepin's videos didn't say anything about brining so I didn't brine, I just opened the package and placed the bird in the pot. I steamed it for 20 minutes (at that point it was 136 degrees), brushed on the liquid rub then roasted it in the oven for 30 minutes until it registered 160.

My first thought was that it seemed like the bird had been brined...but it wasn't. It wasn't dripping wet but air-chilled birds can be tough without a wet brine and this one was pretty darn juicy & tender. So I'm thinking perhaps Pepin does turkey's this way to bypass the brining step?

Taste was pretty vanilla but in a good way - very natural chicken meaty goodness. It reminded me of duck because the fat was drained out so the skin was sort of waxy. And it was kinda refreshing for once to not taste smoke or rub on meat. Instead, I partnered it with 'Spiced cranberry & apple ice wine' preserves from Whole Foods and it was a satisfying meal.

The article said the turkey stayed juicy for 3 days. My left-overs was somewhat dry the next day, but sprinkling water on the plate before microwaving brought it back to life just fine.

So I checked around on youtube for the authentic Chinese method. What they do is put the chicken in a bowl which is put inside a wok or large skillet. The bowl collects the juice so it can't be boiled out, this is called "Essence of chicken" which is supposed to help with fatigue. Do it this way and you have yourself a good chicken & soup. However, the optimal way is to break down the chicken in parts, crush it and steam on low for up to 4 hours. At this point the meat has no taste so they throw it out. Seems like a waste because there was plenty of juice after a 20 minute sauna.

Also, I learned that chopping off the end of the leg isn't the best idea. This one was a pretty fresh kill and blood splattered on the counter and my shirt!

Click image for larger version  Name:	steamed_chicken1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	474579

Click image for larger version  Name:	steamed_chicken2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	474580
      Last edited by Larry Grover; March 30, 2018, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here