Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that I have that Weber Genesis.. I think it's time for Wings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I have that Weber Genesis.. I think it's time for Wings.

So, I started out my outdoor cooking on a sunbeam 2 burner Walmart special that was a hand-me-down from my grandfather when we moved into our own home. It did the job, and with a roast pan full of wood chips sitting on top of one of the burners, it even allowed for some decent smoking (as decent as a 200 dollar gas grill can give you) I soon began to outgrow my little hand me down and started saving for what I considered the best. A Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone. I got my DB around a year ago now, and I loved it from the moment I got it. I smoked things that I didn't know you could smoke. Most importantly, I passed the hand-me-down to my cousin so that she could enjoy some outdoor cooking at the same price my grandfather allowed me to. My only gripe? You cannot get a DB Ripping hot. You can cook a mean steak, all the way up until it needs a nice crisp on it, then its inside, in a pan. About a week ago, I found a steal of a deal in a Weber Genesis for 80 bucks, and 2 hours later, after some new thread tape, tightening a few screws, and a pretty good scrub down with a wire brush, I was grilling a few burgers on a RIPPING hot grill.

This story comes to a point, I promise.

Now that I have both my slow, delicious smoke, and my fire demon, I am going to rock some homemade chicken wings this weekend. I figure, I am going to attempt to make a buffalo dry rub, and smoke these babies until they are nice, and tender, then slam them onto the demon's breathe Genesis to crisp up the skin, much like our beloved Meathead. 8 hours before this, I may throw a butt on for old time sake, and try it with the Carolina treatment, rather than my standard rub. I am good at handling butts, but I usually throw my wings in a fryer to do them and have only tried them once on the smoker. They tasted delicious after I tore off the outer layer of rubber..I mean skin.. Does anyone have a favorite way of doing this? I would love to hear it.

Love me a mess of wings

Comment

Let me give you some advice on the wings, as that is something I cook a lot of. My opinion... skip smoking them, and just direct grill over medium heat (@350), turning often. Oil the grate before you start to prevent sticking. Once the skin crisps up (maybe 45 minutes), I brush on my own homemade buffalo sauce. We've gotten to prefer them this way to fried, or at least we feel like we are eating healthier this way!

I've smoked wings at low temperatures and the skin on the wings when smoked indirect became somewhat tough and rubbery, and even if I threw it over higher heat at the end, the skin just was not as good as when cooked hot and fast. My wife also for some reason does not like smoked wings, another factor in my case.

If you do smoke the wings on the GMG, do it at 325-350, and finish like you planned on the Genesis. I pretty much just do mine beginning to end on the Genesis or Kettle here.

Comment

• Keltonfoss
        Keltonfoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like I'm doing half on the GMG, half on the Genesis haha

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        I have smoked wings a bunch and always finish on the grill over direct heat. Haven never had a skin issue. I smoke at around 275/300 for 45-60 min. At that point the skin is nice and dry and crisps up really well over direct heat - at least the flats do cause who wants to eat the drummettes over the flat!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I imagine when I was smoking the wings, which was some time back, I didn't know better and did them at 225, versus 325 or so. Regardless my wife didn't like the overly smokey flavor (I love smoke), so I stopped doing it.

Ya know, awhile back someone called him Mr. Meathead. I think a little respect is due here.
      It also is apparent that you are having just a bit of fun there, keep it up!

Comment

Cool!
        I'm lookin forward to yer wing cook!

Comment

Dual cooks are always great.

Comment

I've grilled as many as 20 pounds of wings at once (just drummettes and flats), as a party appetizer. With that many wings, I was running them on both the Weber Genesis and the Weber Performer - both outfitted with Grillgrates. While you can tell if you look for it that one was cooked over charcoal versus gas, there is not a huge difference, especially if you brush on a sauce at the end.

Comment

• Keltonfoss
              Keltonfoss commented
              Editing a comment
              So.. about that homemade wing sauce? haha.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah. That is like asking Colonel Sanders for his original recipe! Or Coca Cola for their secret formula! Haha.

I'll have to share the sauce recipe one day over in the appropriate forum. Without it in front of me at the moment I would have to "wing it"....

• Keltonfoss
              Keltonfoss commented
              Editing a comment
              As frowned upon as asking a hunter where they hunt Elk. It's understandable ! I may have to concoct my own, just for the fun of it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here