Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked cornish game hens? recipes, ideas, and thoughts welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked cornish game hens? recipes, ideas, and thoughts welcome.

I'm looking to make Cornish game hens on my komodo tonight. I bought some andouille sausage to stuff into the cavity. I haven't found a recipe that shows me a good way. I am thinking of basic seasoning and light smoke. Figure indirect around 275? Also, I have read where it says to cook the sausage first but I was wondering why as it should get up to the 160 area with everything else. Ideas and thoughts are welcome.

For me I like to mix sausage with a packet of long grain and wild rice (like Uncle Ben's), pre-cook it and stuff the birds. I would roast a little hotter, like 325* to get some nice crispy skin. Also, dry brine the birds overnight and leave in the refrig, that cool dry skin also helps the crispiness. To 160* in the breast is perfect.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      The wife is doing paleo so no rice All Sausage. I will dry brine them now. Thanks, Have you roasted over open flame or indirect?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't grill chicken, I roast it. I have used both indirect (charcoal or propane) and most recently been doing mine on a pellet cooker. Just get your heat up to at least 325* and you'll do fine.

I find that small birds do better with a higher temp in the 325-350 range You won't get the rubbery skin, and still retain quite a bit of smoke flavor. I would also suggest pre-cooking the sausage like troutman.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks. Will do both.

i like to inject them with a little creole butter, season with some cajun seasoning, and smoke vertically. Mranwhile i make some cajun cornbread and sausage stuffing. I finish the stuffing first and about halfway through the smoke, stuff the game hens with it. Finish, and enjoy. One per person with some grilled jalapeno green beans, and you are all set!

Comment

That's pretty much the approach I use Troutman. Now, you may want to precook the stuffing separately while you start the bird with and empty cavity. Then take the bird off the smoker, stuff it, and put it back in. That's because the stuffing really slows things down, and you want to make sure it gets cooked without overcooking the bird.

That's the approach I use for "Ed's mighty stuffed turkey" in the poultry recipe section. But I'm not sure how long to do the first phase cook for something this small. Probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour as a SWAG.

Comment

If you like grilled chicken with golden crispy skin then you're about to fall in love with this recipe for crispy grilled Cornell chicken. In New York's Finger lakes, Bob Baker's famous Crispy Cornell Chicken recipe is served in every home, every fire department cookout, and little league BBQ and now you can enjoy it!

Comment

Brian_M did Cornish game hens in February and posted his findings and photos here:

Kathryn

Comment

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

I LOVE my little game hens. I don't stuff. I gotta thing about that. I cook mine higher in the 325 range with veggies, taters, stick of butter and a bit of chicken stock in the pan. Dang dang good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	166686_1755002351644_284135_n.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	467042

Comment

I spatchcock or cut completely in half. Cook hot at 325 or hotter. Tasty!

Comment

okay...thanks for all the great suggestions. I went with the dry brine and will fire up Gossamer to the 350 range and cook indirect. Thinking of throwing a bit of apple or pecan on for smoke. Will cook stuffing separately and stuff and finish a bit over direct to crisp skin further. . Making a andouille sausage stuffing with sweet potato, onion, mushrooms, and some walnuts. Hopefully photos to follow.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                We'll be looking forward to your results!

They came out really good. Thanks for all the input. The star of the show by far was the stuffing. The hens came out perfect. Pulled them off at 150ish and let them rest. Nice apple flavor. The pickles were 1/2 sour I started making ten days ago for the first time. Overall the dinner was easy to make and a win.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve noticed photos can upload out of order. Sorry

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh brother that looks DELISH!!!

• PJBowmaster
                PJBowmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                Those birds look great!! Nice job!

Very nice cook!

Trader Joes had some nice plump hens during the holidays - their flyer said it was a new product . Only had one shot at them because they disappeared. Anyone else still able to buy them or was it just a seasonal thing? They were much better than Foster Farms frozen.

Comment

Looks great. Can you give some details of the times and temps. Thanks. Also, what was the weight of those birds 2lbs?

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                  Sfdrew28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The temps were between 350-400 with the opening and closing of the grill. A t20 minutes I basted in butter. At 40 minutes they were at 135 so I added stuffing and let them go another 7 minutes and them moved them over direct for about 1-2 minutes. I took them off the grill when the temp in the breast was 151. Let rest for five.
                  think they were 2-2.5#. Not sure

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet, thanks!

Well lookie there...man I'd eat that any day. Makes me want to go get some....

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Grover View Post
                  Very nice cook!

Trader Joes had some nice plump hens during the holidays - their flyer said it was a new product . Only had one shot at them because they disappeared. Anyone else still able to buy them or was it just a seasonal thing? They were much better than Foster Farms frozen.
                  these were Mary's brand. Found in frozen meat area of Whole Foods. Think it was $6-8 a bird.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here