Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck question

I bought a duck to smoke today. The last duck I did at 300 for several hours and the fat didn’t render. it wasn’t good. Is there any reason I shouldn’t cook the duck at say 400-450 and smoke with cherry or apple? I should also mention I’m in the mood for a low fuss cook and not looking to steam the duck beforehand. Thanks!

Best roast duck I've ever had (and I've had a few):https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/...o-crispy-skin/

Should be able to adapt the principles & concept of this recipe to a duck on a smoker pretty easy... Good luck & enjoy!!!

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha! That’s my go to recipe that I’ve made probably twenty times. I was looking to do a higher temp/quicker cook tonight.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Quick is never the answer for tender. take your time. you know it's worth the wait!!

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      My experience with duck is that, as far as rendering fat goes, high heat does not substitute (fully) for time. High heat (~400) will render fat faster than low (~300), but if it results in a significantly shorter cook the rendering will be incomplete. Again, just my experience (mostly in an oven, not an outdoor cooker).

I cook my Mallards in a PBC at 425' or so for about 1 hour to an internal temperature of 140-145'. Pepper, seasoned salt and a piece of cherry wood most of the time. I use 1/4" rods instead of the rebar for high heat without hassle of cracking the lid, etc. Works great. I have also done a lot of ducks in my gasser using a very hot indirect setup, but your really have to watch out for grease fires. Enjoy Brookie

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	462333Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	462334

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Wild mallards or domestic?

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like! I’m getting Gossamer up to temp at 425ish now, indirect set up, and drip pan ready to go.

• Brookie
      Brookie commented
      Editing a comment
      Wild Mallards

Interesting black & white of the PBC.

Comment

is the duck standing or hanging in that smoker? does that allow the fat to drip out better?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here