Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey stock ~ Coz a carcass is a terrible thing to waste!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest
    replied
    Cheese cloth is great but I can't be bothered. LOLLOL! PLUS, I want free flowing bones since the malliard is going on in the oven, pot is uncovered.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    You should've been drinking Whisky in the first place. LOL

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Beautiful broth, Ernest. I never thought about putting the whole shebang in the oven for 8 hours. Usually I (barely) simmer mine on the stovetop for several hours. I might try the oven next time. Also, I wrap all the turkey bones and bits in cheesecloth so removing them is way easier and there are way fewer solids--all veggies--to catch in the strainer. My Thanksgiving guests were practically arm wrestling with each other for dibs on the broth I would make with both turkeys. Homemade broth is the way to go, I agree!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Awesome my man! However...I have a big disagreement with one important thing. You say "Hey LOOK! Some leftover wine, pour it in there and reduce." What I have a problem with is this instruction completely ignores that fact that there may be a lonely wine glass sitting there, wanting to be in my hand. What are we gonna do about this??

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    started a topic Turkey stock ~ Coz a carcass is a terrible thing to waste!

Turkey stock ~ Coz a carcass is a terrible thing to waste!

This is from my 13 lbs turkey carcass Ingredients 1 carcass. Break it down. Crack the leg bones open. You want that marrow 1 gallon of water 2 medium onions 1 medium carrot Some celery Some garlic Some Bay leaves Some thyme Some turmeric Some.... Look at the picture Heat come oil, I'm using ghee, sautee the aromatics. Get them slightly browned. Hey LOOK! Some leftover wine, pour it in there and reduce. Then get all the ingredients in, mix that mess up. Get a gallon of water, pour that in. Bring that to a gentle boil and place in a 200 degree oven and forget about it for 8 hours. After 8 hours, get that mess on the stove, medium low heat, reduce to about 3/4. Strain, refrigerate. Skim fat off. Look at that rich stock. That's what store bought wishes it was. Freeze in 1/2 cup portions (red) or cubes. Now go forth and cook good food.
    Last edited by Ernest; December 27, 2014, 06:53 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here