Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Spatchcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Spatchcock

So my wife wanted another "Thanksgiving dinner." It was heresy not having a turkey for the Christmas dinner so she wanted to recreate that last night. I wanted to try spatchcocking the Turkey. It ended up being a 3 hour cook on a 12lb bird but part of it I think was I didn’t have my egg temp high enough.

injected with melted butter. I didn’t spatchcock before injecting because my poultry shears from Amazon arrived later in the day. They were a big help btw. rubbed with the Gospel from meat church.
    Last edited by Rjbachtold; January 15, 2018, 12:17 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061CF93F-EB79-4F91-8733-6CC6B8E4D9A6.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	440158 Finished product. Skin wasn’t bite through but both the white meat and the dark meat were very juicy.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

3 hrs isn't bad. What temp did you cook at? Don't be afraid to crank her up to 350+ for all or the last hour of the cook. Even 375-400.

Comment

• Rjbachtold
          Rjbachtold commented
          Editing a comment
          im trying to just trust the grate level temp from the Smoke. I probably kept it too low. it varied from 285-330. still getting used to where I need the smokeware cap opened to. Throwing some smoked chili on in a few hours. I love more practice maintaining temps and getting to eat the results

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          It certainly came out well!

I usually try to cook a spatchcocked turkey on my KJ at 325 to 350 and it normally takes about 2 to 2.5 hours to cook to get the breast meat to 165, the legs and thighs get to 175 to 185.

Comment

Good lookin bird!

Comment

Yea sure looks good, I like the color of the bird. Funny you mentioned poultry shears, I ended up using a pair of garden shears on mine over Thanksgiving, my kitchen scissors wouldn't phase the breast bone, lol !!!

Comment

Hey, this worked for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	DEC6F5D9-5AD8-4ACB-BCE3-B2A6B873A376.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	440340Click image for larger version

Name:	23F70172-C654-4F37-B270-4BC9B4090940.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	440341

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                That turkey must have been very afraid to see those things coming his way.

K.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Man he pulled out the heavy artillery...loppers !!!!

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, big turkeys are tough on kitchen shears!

Yeah, and as it says, it cuts 2X easier! I also didn’t have to extend the handles, just cut naturally.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here