Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck Confit.............On a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uarobert
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernest View Post
    uarobert sorta like sous vide confit.
    It is.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    uarobert sorta like sous vide confit.

Leave a comment:

• uarobert
    replied
    I like to do my confit in a vacuum bag by simmering it in hot water (180deg). I refrigerate it and when I'm ready to eat it, I just put it in the oven and crisp it.

Leave a comment:

• troymeister
    replied
    Totally Awesome!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    It was fantastic! I'm thinking of going all out with full confit for New Year's eve dinner. It's always fantastic with my faux confit.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Smarkley!

• David Parrish
    replied
    Ernest that meal looks amazing. Well done Sir.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Here we go...... Plating Jasmine and wild rice with roasted mushrooms. Sauce is a reduction of fresh orange juice, orange marmalade and orange liqueur. Sauteed some shallots in duck fat before the reduction. Fantastic every time!

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    Much appreciated Strat!

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Ghee would take the duck to another level, if done right. More herbs, etc, and your duck would go from "merely" excellent to epic! So would evoo, or even a mixture of the two? Then, of course, there's bacon fat. Heat at 200ish. while time consuming, might help when using ghee, etc. I can tell from your great pics, that you are a very good cook, so make it your own and do your "voodoo" your way.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Strat. I thought about topping it up with ghee coz I can make ghee easily, duck fat is expensive and hard to come by. But I didn't want to mess with duck flavor by adding ghee to it.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    What?????????????????

• OGMrWhite
    replied
    Duck confit is my favorite protein! Thank you for sharing

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    Originally, I think, confit was a preservation method not just for meat, but for fruit too(syrup not fat is used). Some of the classic french cassoulets are made with confit. A trick I learned when making confit is that any fat will do. Lard, shortening, oil(s), and so forth all work.So, if you are short on say duck fat, no worries. Top off the fat level with what you have. Since you are making confit for flavor and not to preserve, this will work well. 250 is about the upper temp limit for making confit.An exception to this is for garlic. Then I use 300. This garlic is killer, but I think the fat is even better!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here