Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing better to do last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing better to do last night

Doing my own slaughter and butcher have earned me the reputation of animal executioner in the neighbourhood. A neighbour, who is pressing me into slaughtering and butchering a cattle beast for him this month, raised a couple of turkeys a while back. Might as well have been ostriches, these birds were so large they wouldn't fit whole into an oven. My reward was getting one, which is long gone. They finally drug theirs out of the freezer and were so overwhelmed by its size they just cooked the legs and thighs and gave us the breasts. So I smoked them in the KBQ last night. Salted in the morning, SNG rub just before putting them in the smoker at 16:00. It was cold out, I had to run the KBQ full steam and the highest temp I got was 301. But four hours later they hit 160. So here are the before and after shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1316.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	432807

Name:	DSCF1320.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	432808

Wow!! Looks amazing!

Comment

Looks fabulous!

Comment

Damn. They look great. And the size jeeez. Each breast half takes up 2 burners on your stove. Unless of course that’s a doll house stove. 🤔

Comment

Beautiful Job, brother!
          Those are Ginormous!!!

Comment

Must have been the Dolly Parton of turkeys!

Comment

Very nice! Love turkey!! @
              animal executioner!

Comment

Those look excellent. Ostrich, now there is something we have plenty of this part of the world. Has anyone smoked some? I know they are a very lean meat. Something I must look into. They make good biltong (jerky) very dry but tasty.

Comment

Wow looks awesome.

Comment

Dude!!! How did they taste? Slice Pics, please

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Like turkey probably.

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not just turkey, heavily smoked turkey. To get the temperature up I opened the bottom poppet all the way and the top poppet by a half.

PaulstheRibList

Name:	DSCF1328.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	432900

Comment

Oh man - does that look great!

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here