Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Soup

Arkansas is hit with flu and croup right now! This recipe is a definite "Make You Feel Better" keeper.

Bone in chicken or parts thereof (you can use left over carcass, smoked is fine or raw pieces with bones)
    water to cover chicken
    one onion chopped
    one stalk of celery chopped
    one carrot chopped
    broken Fettuccini noodles (2" pieces or so)
    1/2 block of cream cheese
    parsley
    salt and pepper to taste

Bring to boil, cook until any remaining meat is off the bones or the raw pieces are done. Remove the bones and break chicken meat into pieces. Bring liquid back to a boil and add noodle pieces, cream cheese and parsley. If you like the taste of fresh parsley add it towards the end. Dry is fine for this too.

Feel Better Sooner!!!

I loves me some chicken soup CSQ. Reminds me of my sick days in bed and me old mom feeding me that heavenly broth .....

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the bones that make it all better! I had the crud all last weekend, my 90 year old Dad has it now. Making this tonight. Leftover Turkey carcass works too.

Thanks CandySueQ . A person can never have too many soup recipes. Biscuits would go good with soup--mainly because I like to make them.

Comment

CandySueQ : Thanks for this. Was just looking for a chicken soup recipe this morning that I could control the sodium with. I'm a little stumped by the cream cheese as an ingredient though. What does it do for the recipe?

Comment

CSQ me too stumped on the cream cheese but it makes a lot of other things rich, smooth, stable and creamy. Why not soup? Is the cream cheese a regional thing?

point of clarification: bring back to boil, and add cream cheap cheese along with others listed. Will the cheese break? I guess we are just cooking the noodles atbthat point right?

no matter, I'm gonna make it! Sounds delicious!
        Thank you
        Erik

Skip. I'm thinking a crusty buttered and seasoned baguette. Yum.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          You're right, only the noodles are cooking. Cream cheese doesn't break. Stir frequently and monitor noodles for doneness. Baguette has my vote!

Thanks for the recipe CandySueQ Cheers!

Comment

Was eating homemade chicken soup when I read this. I added crème fraîche in place of cream cheese and cilantro instead of parsley since it's what i had on hand. Soup got instantly better!

Comment

Creme cheese must be CandySueQ 's secret ingredient for chicken soup. I may give it a try. Thanks, CSQ.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for the recipe CandySueQ . I'll be it is great with a leftover turkey carcass also.

Comment

No, cream cheese doesn't break. Don't know why! I usually use the Neu-whatever stuff that's less fat, but regular works just fine too. It thickens it a bit and adds a creamy richness to the broth. Discovered the cream cheese trick with a pot of chicken chili where I forgot to bring the cream but had a block of cream cheese. Added it to a pot of potato leek soup the other day too. 5 ingredients, leeks, potatoes, chunk of ham, cream cheese, water, add heat then season to taste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here